Mircologix 1400 SMTP help

terryor

Can anyone please help me out with a Mircologix 1400. I'm trying to configure it to send email and think I've got it figured out. However, I don't have and can't find any email server that will accept emails using port 25 and I can't see where to change to port on the 1400.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Terry

Welcome to the Forum !

The SMTP client uses TCP Port 25 because that's the standard port for SMTP and has been since the beginning of the Internet.

The problem, if course, is that ordinary e-mail has been abused by spammers to the point where many ISPs block outgoing Port 25 mail, and most Internet-facing mail servers won't accept incoming Port 25 mail.

The little CPU in the MicroLogix 1400 doesn't have the horsepower to do encryption, and most applications where it's sending e-mail will be done with internal SMTP servers on a corporate network that can be set up to accept Port 25 mail from the MicroLogix specifically.

Another category of devices that suffers from the same problem is the first generations of all-in-one copier/printer/scanners that have a built in mail client. So there's a market for ways around the problem.

For systems that need to send mail to a destination outside the network you have control over, you generally have to set up an SMTP Relay that will forward your ordinary Port 25 e-mail via the more sophisticated authentication methods used on the modern Internet like SSL.

hMailServer is one that I've read about having good results.

I haven't personally done any work with the MicroLogix e-mail client outside of setting up internal implementations using the ArGo Software mail server.

Last edited:
terryor said:
...I don't have and can't find any email server that will accept emails using port 25 and I can't see where to change to port on the 1400.

Anyone have any suggestions?

If you're using one, a Series B MicroLogix 1400 controller will allow you to assign an alternate SMTP port number, other than the default port 25...

494534 - How to specify an alternate SMTP port number in a MicroLogix 1400?
Access Level: TechConnect

Regards
George

Last edited:
Hey, that's new. Cool !

Thanks for that hint, George. It might solve the OPs problem, or he might be hitting a higher hurdle with an SSL requirement.

494534 I went rounds with RA on this and not being able to access it, here is there reply.
The reason for not able to read as this is for RA Employees only. Hence it is working as expected.

"Answer 494534 is intended for our employees only. Please ask the person who gave you the references to have the answer reviewed for public access or to find another source for the information."

I did get it from them thoe, here is what it is
Question

How to specify an alternate SMTP port number in a MicroLogix 1400 controller?

Answer

In the MicroLogix 1400 Series B controllers, the configuration for alternate SMTP Port number is supported. The default SMTP Port number in the MicroLogix 1400 controller is 25 in TCP.

To specify the target IP address and port number in the Email Server configuration, you can enter them in the following format.

<HOSTNAME>
< IPADDR>
< HOSTNAME>?port=<xxx>
< IPADDR>?port=<xxx>

For example:
REMOTE_MOD: equivalent to REMOTE_MOD?port=25
192.168.1.100: equivalent to 192.168.1.100?port=25
REMOTE_MOD?port=28123
192.168.1.100?port=28123

You will include the ?port=xxx after the IP address or the host name in the Email Server configuration field (25 is the default port number).

There are very few "Public Email Servers" today that don't require Authentication. You can get around this if you run your own email server!

Just wanted you to be aware.

I am working on that, not exactly sure how, I have been looking at Stunnel Software and also looking at having excel monitoring through RSLinx OPC
and handel the Email

AuthSMTP.com has been our friend for several years to get around a lack of authentication for HMI alarm notifications. I point my Red Lion HMIs Mail configuration at the IP they provided for our account. I pay about 50 bucks a year and have about 5 customers using it. After I signed up I did have to send them an email requesting a static IP for the mail server and they were quick to reply with the info I needed. Their service includes some really useful diagnostics which come in handy, like when Verizon decided to change their SMS to mail gateway suffix and spam rules.

Last edited: