Panel Plus V5.10 Problems

We should take a bit of a step back because you've managed to put your foot firmly into a SNAFU from a few years ago, which your plant has evidently decided to prolong.

For our purposes, RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 Logix Designer are the same software product, just with a new name after v21. I'm going to stick to calling the editor software "RSLogix 5000" for now.

The issue of Major Revision compatibility between RSLogix 5000 and the ControlLogix or CompactLogix is a basic feature of these products.

You've always needed the same Major Revision of RSLogix 5000 installed on your computer as the Major Revision of the controller you want to use. It's not like RSLogix 5 or RSLogix 500 or many other competitive products where whatever newest revision of editing software supports all the past revisions of controller firmware.

You can install multiple versions of RSLogix 5000 on the same PC. I have v19, v20, v21, v24, and v29 all on my computer.

Compatibility gets complicated with v20.x because that's when Rockwell went to a signed firmware system for security reasons; it's one of the few instances where "Version X firmware = Version X Editor" was not simple and true.

RSLogix 5000 version 20.03 supports ONLY controllers with version 20.03 firmware. Not 20.0, not 20.01.

RSLogix 5000 version 20.04 supports controllers with any version 20.x firmware.

All that being said: the problem you're experiencing with the PanelView is a PV+ firmware issue, specifically the controller support built into the RSLinx Enterprise software loaded on the terminal.

I will grit my teeth at the confusion of the "Product Compatibility and Download Center". Grr.

When you search for your specific part number, it comes up with only version 5.10.06.

When you search for "PanelView Plus" and select the "PanelView Plus 700-1500" category, it allows you to select version 5.10.16, which is what you want.

I will grit my teeth at the confusion of the "Product Compatibility and Download Center". Grr.

When you search for your specific part number, it comes up with only version 5.10.06.

When you search for "PanelView Plus" and select the "PanelView Plus 700-1500" category, it allows you to select version 5.10.16, which is what you want.

Thank you Ken! that is a lot of help and good information. What is a SNAFU though?

And so by upgrading to version 20.04 would that solve sent my issues with the controller fw upgrades?

Thank you Ken! that is a lot of help and good information. What is a SNAFU though?

Oh boy, I love teaching people new things, especially things like this :p

Situation Normal: All F***ed Up

And so by upgrading to version 20.04 would that solve sent my issues with the controller fw upgrades?

No, that won't solve your HMI issue, you'll need the HMI firmware Ken mentioned to fix that. The v20.04 upgrade will just fix another issue that hasn't bitten you yet, but probably will if you don't upgrade to v20.04 ;)

Oh boy, I love teaching people new things, especially things like this :p

Situation Normal: All F***ed Up

No, that won't solve your HMI issue, you'll need the HMI firmware Ken mentioned to fix that. The v20.04 upgrade will just fix another issue that hasn't bitten you yet, but probably will if you don't upgrade to v20.04 ;)

Haha!! that's pretty good! And yeah, I knew it wouldn't solve my hmi issue, but my other issue was the compact logix fw updates weren't compatible with my version of logix.

Once upon a time I did upgrade a shared computer that engineers login to to the newest version studio 5000 software and I got scolded. I couldn't figure out why because I'm not changing controller revision numbers. They are scared that if change the program and check it into asset centre other computers won't be able to open the file of they are still on 20.03. Am I right here?

Either way. Tomorrow I'm going to find that 5.10.8 panelview fw and try again. I appreciate y'alls help.

Oh, sorry, didn't read that far back.

clegger said:
They are scared that if change the program and check it into asset centre other computers won't be able to open the file of they are still on 20.03. Am I right here?

Not in this case. If everyone else was on v20.01 and you updated to 20.03, then what you describe above would be exactly what happened. v20.01 and 20.03 programs are not compatible with one another, so you save it in v20.03, other people can't open it unless they too upgrade to v20.03.

v20.04 was released in response to the global sh*tstorm that followed that issue (my local RA distributor's technical support guy told me at the time that over 50% of his calls for the past three weeks had been related to that issue). v20.04 can open projects created/saved with either v20.01 or v20.03. Likewise, a program saved by v20.04 can be opened by v20.03 or v20.01. Minor revision compatibility restored. Hooray!

As a side note, exactly the same issue appears with v21.01 and v21.03. There is no v21.04 to get you out of trouble, though - the Rockwell fix for that one was to rush out v23, which is basically a re-badged v21 without the minor revision SNAFU. Unfortunately, a new *major* revision means flashing the PLC firmware, so it's not as nice a solution.

I have a customer who has flat out banned v20 and v21 onsite in all forms due to exactly this issue and the downtime it has cost them. I don't suppose that you have the final say, being as you got rapped on the knuckles for upgrading software previously, but if you have any influence over the decision, get your company to skip right on over v20 and 21 to, at the very least, v24. FYI, they're currently up to v30.

Alrighty, I updated my rslogix to 20.04 no prob. Now it will take a higher fw for the controller. I updated my panelview to 5.10.16 and now everything works. Thanks guys for all the help!

similar problem

hello i have the same problem but i had the version 7.0 it's necessary made a upgrade mayor to 8.0 and the problem solution