Looking for refurbished 1756-L61 and 1756-L62.Where is the best place to find these ?

Cydog

Good Afternoon ,

I have a few machines that I need to upgrade to the 1756-L71 and L72 CPU's , but in the mean time I would like to find the 1756-L61 and 1756-L62 CPU .

I know Rockwell does not have these any longer . Do any of you know a reliable source to get these parts , most likely refurbished .

Thanks in advance ,

What are the machines running now ?

1756-L71 and -L72 controllers are available in stock from most A-B dealers. Why would you buy an intermediate controller (which you would have to program with v20 or lower software) ?

I am skeptical of any company that claims to "refurbish" a PLC controller. No other companies have access to the RA-specific chips that would be required for some things (like the backplane ASIC issue ten years ago). Most aftermarket sellers load the current firmware and do a short burn-in test (if that).

Last edited:
The reason why I'm going down this road is I'm concerned that I will need to do alot of firmware updates to other components in the racks , increasing downtime. The system that I need the L62 for is version 20.11.

Yea, I know it does not make sense .

Yeah, doing very-old-stuff migration requires some planning.

Radwell/PLCCenter seem to be the go-to vendors for used Rockwell controllers.

If you're planning to buy a bunch of new hardware, talk to your local RA office and/or distributor. They're probably using L7's for all their demos and have a few L6x controllers on the shelf that they could use to sweeten the deal for a hardware purchase.

One detail: v20 had that frustrating "signed/unsigned" issue between the controller firmware and the RSLogix 5000 software. Get version 20.04.01 of RSLogix 5000 and you won't have to worry about the minor rev of the 1756 controller itself.

This is related to my original problem yesterday. I had to replace a L61 with a L62 , after a wire shorted out causing the CPU to fail. Nothing else in the rack was effected. My co-worker said that the machine stopped last evening , and the new L62 had a fault and lost it's program. It ran good for hours. Could a backplane problem cause this , related to the short ?

Thanks .

I haven't run into issues going from L6x to L7x's yet. I'd go ahead and get the L7 (actually, would probably try L8 now), load the program and try it out during some downtime.

Worst case, you still need to buy a L6 for spares but would give you time to work out the upgrade issues.

This is related to my original problem yesterday. I had to replace a L61 with a L62 , after a wire shorted out causing the CPU to fail. Nothing else in the rack was effected. My co-worker said that the machine stopped last evening , and the new L62 had a fault and lost it's program. It ran good for hours. Could a backplane problem cause this , related to the short ?

Thanks .

Yes, it could. Weird things can happen when shorts occur in the system.

I have not run into a lot of problems - 2 or 3 real head-scratchers. Enough so that when an over-voltage happens in a rack, I replace the rack and the IO cards. When we fail a communication card (enbt, cnet, dnet) due to an electrician putting 600 VAC onto the communications lines (it happens) I replace the rack, power supplies, and the cards in the rack.

It seems excessive at first .. but if your downtime is expensive, and your troubleshooting resources are limited ...

Replacing one thing at a time has, in the past, caused me to damage my spares during the process of elimination. And I only have so many spares.

/sigh.
I have a two racks full of 5555's, 61's, and 62's here. Not even worth the trade in against newer parts based on the quote I got from Rockwell, and this company doesn't resell them, so I just get to keep them around.

Heck, I even have 2 L50's.

Sheesh.

I bought stuff from Radwell and turned into a mess. It was a ProSoft module and part of the functionality was not working and that waste a lot of of time. So whatever saving I was expecting vaporized.

It's probably somewhat safer for Logix controller because the self-test on Logix seems to be quite comprehensive. What I realized is the so called refurb process involves powering on the unit and see if the red light blinks...

I bought stuff from Radwell and turned into a mess....

I will never buy from them again, I dont like talking **** about the competition but every time I use them or people I know used them end up regretting it and they give the 'used/reman' world a bad name, I have several competitors that are very good and you can check the ebay feedback to verify

***********, Indiana Industrial, Red Moon are just a few that I trust and they will stand behind what they sell and that is the main thing for myself, no one is perfect but you can put forth the effort to make your customer happy would be a start

yeah Im not a big fan of radwell. They screwed up on some repairs for me in the past and the few times I have bought things they didnt work. I have purchased on ebay from some of the companies the above poster mentioned and have had good luck when sourcing older components. radwell sells at a premium and I am convinced that they dont even test the equipment most of the time or if at all.

I did replace a L61 with a L62 , and the transition went well. I'm thinking of getting a L72 to replace the L62 in another Machine PLC , and just work thru it. I did get a refurbished L61 from Rockwell's Exchange program , so I have a refurbished on the shelf .

One question I have is , if the L62 in my other machine would fail , could I go back to the L61 ? Or once you go forward , you can't go back ?

Thanks ,

You will have no trouble taking your program back to the L61, assuming you have not exceeded the amount of memory in a L61 and the firmware revisions are the same.