FactoryTalk View SE not importing tags from RSView32 project.

Transistor

FT View Studio Ver 8.0.0.
RSView32 project is about 2007 vintage.

From help file:

• To import an HMI project to a local station application:In Windows click Start > Rockwell Software > FactoryTalk View > FactoryTalk View Studio.
  • In the Application Type Selection window, click View Site Edition (Local Station) > Continue.
  • In the New/Open Site Edition (Local Station) Application window, click the New tab.
  • Type an application name and description and then click Import.
  • In the Import File window, click the type of project you plan to import and then click Next.
  • In the Import project window, beside the Project file field, click the browse button (...) to browse for the project files that are available and select one.
  • Click Finish.
I've done this and the displays have all imported but no tags. I know that the RSView32 project is reading the PLC via RSLinx.

Any ideas?

It's been a few years since I played with SE but I remember SE does not need local databases. It browse into AB PLC or offline files for actual PLC tag name.

I just converted a project from RSView32 to SE. I'm not sure what version View32 was but i could not import tags until I ran the Legacy Tag Database conversion tool. I do not know if this is your case, but it is pretty involved. You can find it in the knowledge base. Since the old system was a 32 bit system, I had to run the tool on the old 32 bit computer and then again on the 64 bit new machine running SE.

Another option is to manually convert the tags using MS Excel.

Export your tags from RSView32 into CSV file.
Create a few tags in FTView Studio, export those tags to CSV file (to get the right format).
Use Excel to manually add your RSView32 tags into the FTView Studio CSV file, then import.

@arlenjacobs: I don't have RSView32 Works - just the runtime and the source so I don't think I can do as you've suggested. I'm trying to find the Legacy Conversion Tool and see if I can run it on 64-bit. If not I'll try on XP.

Thanks all, so far.

VB Modules for Excel Tag Import/Export csv file manipulation

There are only a few minor differences between the FTView and RSView tag database import/export files... I've been using excel VB to help with migration (see attached).

-P

I recently had to do the same thing and I used the Legacy Tag Database conversion tool. I did not have RSView32 Works either, but was able to get a copy of the View32 project and folders and put that on the new PC with FTView, run the legacy tag database tool with that, and as stated, follow the rest of the instructions to get the tags to import.

And, even when I got all done with that, there was stuff missing. It seems I forgot to create an "area" first or something along those lines before I imported the View32 project. At one point, it still seemed like my tags were missing and then I rebooted and they magically appeared. I saved probably 20 hours opposed to starting from scratch and spent 19 of them futzing around with FT quirks.