Siemens S7 Connection to a PC

How can I connect a Siemens 314 CPU to my laptop? I'm sure Siemens will have just what I need, and I'll pony up the money if I have to, but is there any after market (cheaper) parts that will work?

I bought a package deal off Ebay that included an HMI adapter 6ES7-972-0CA10 0XA0. That seems too be a connection to an HMI device but will it work as a PC programmer?

I just need something to play with, it isn't for a job or anything.

Thank you for your help;
Frank

Frank,

Unfortunately the HMI adpater will not work for programming. I've only seen a couple of HMI packages that use the HMI adapter (CTC is one of them)
You will need the PC adapter, there is a USB version and serial version. The best is the PCMCIA, but it will run you about $900.00
The PC adapters are around $300-350 (if I remember correctly)

Last edited:
If you don't want problems

cp5512dl2.gif