RSLogix 500 slow to start

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
This only happens when I am connected to the internet or to a VPN. It is as if the license manager is looking every where in the universe for my license except the local hard drive.

I have already applied changes and instructions I have found in the technotes I have dug up in the knowledge-base and I have already uninstalled Acrobat DC.

At first, it would be about a 3-5 minute delay. Then it seems to have grown to 15 minutes or greater. The last time it happened, I gave it thirty minutes before giving up.

The workaround is to disconnect from the internet and/or VPN, give it a minute and then it appears.

The symptom is that there is no indication that RSLogix 500 is running except for an instance of it in Task Manager Processes. No splash window, no item in the Task Manager Applications list. The first few times this happened, I thought maybe I didn't double click the icon so I did it again. One time, I got frustrated and clicked about 50 times. (I know none of you have ever done that ;) ) When it finally decided to make an appearance, I had 25 instances running...

My licenses are concurrent and on a server at the office, but this can happen even when I borrow it. I do have my local drive first in the list in FTAM. I have tried unchecking the office server in FTAM and restarting it during this problem and that made no difference.

Thanks for any and all possible answers to this.

No VM. I do run Factory Talk View Studio in Windows Virtual PC occasionally, but everything else is on the host PC.

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit Dell Latitude with 8GB Ram.

I'll get back to you on that technote link when I am on my work PC where my login credentials are saved.

Do your 5000 starts ok? I remember having similar problem in the past with 5000 but can't remember exactly how I solved it.

A few things to check:

- in FT Activation - Manage Activation, make sure your local drive is on top

hey, I found my old thread which might not be related to your, since my problem happens when I'm in the office too but it's worth a look

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=97818

or look up RA KB 63556, repairing MS Framework 4.0

Do your 5000 starts ok? I remember having similar problem in the past with 5000 but can't remember exactly how I solved it.

A few things to check:

- in FT Activation - Manage Activation, make sure your local drive is on top

hey, I found my old thread which might not be related to your, since my problem happens when I'm in the office too but it's worth a look

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=97818
repairing MS Framework 4.0

or look up RA KB 63556, repairing MS Framework 4.0

Thanks harryting. Even though my issue is with RSLogix 500, fixes that apply to anything with a RA license may help. I am quite certain it is related to the hunt for a license.

I don't think it is related to MS Framework, since it does not generate a fatal error, it is just stinking slow. Just now after 9 minutes, an instance of RLSogix 500 opened up...I happen to be working in grace period mode at the moment, but even if I borrow a license it happens...

I use RSLogix 5000 much less frequently, and I honestly can't say I remember it happening with that software. I do have my local hard drive first in the list in FTAM.

Since you didn't state which version of RSLogix 500 you were using, I had a co-working having issue with RSL500 (don't remember the issue) and once installing version 10 that issue was fixed.

Since you didn't state which version of RSLogix 500 you were using, I had a co-working having issue with RSL500 (don't remember the issue) and once installing version 10 that issue was fixed.
Well, I hadn't thought about that. We have v10 on disc but I just checked and I am still running version 9. I will go ahead and upgrade tomorrow when I have more time.

If you are running out of ideas, consider checking where Logix 500 is activating from -- FTAM or a legacy "master disk" file. If the EVRSI is still on your machine, and Logix 500 is going there for activation, the CHECKDRIVES parameter may have in impact on startup time under various network configurations. If that activation file is on your C drive, you will want CHECKDRIVES=C in Rocksoft.ini as described in various Rockwell Technotes.

Speed Boost

Once you figure out your issue, you can speed up RS Logix by right-clicking it in Task Manager under "Processes" tab, click "Set Priority", then select "High". Do not select real-time. This will dedicate more RAM to your .exe file. You must re-select "High" every time the process closes out.

So, check internet options - advanced -
turn off Check for Publisher's Certificate Revocation
turn off Check for Server Certificate Revocation

Reboot and then see if it works better, If it does you probably have an update needed for your root certificates.

I just did this and so far so good. Although there were times where I had no problems before. This upgrade also included the requirement to update Factory Talk Services Platform which might be related.

Anyway, I will revisit this thread if the problem returns.