0071h fault on Micrologix 1400

Mickey,

Steve is referring to firmware revisions 11 - 21, not RSLogix 500 software versions, which we are viewing in your screenshot. For the software, v11 is the latest and greatest - there is no RSLogix 500 v21, of course.

George

I was not referring to the software, only the PLC firmware based on the link I posted which only shows ver 12 as the highest ver.

Hopefully these screenshots are better.

However;

Micrologix 1400 L32 BXBA OS FRN is 15.0
Micrologix 1400 L32 BWAA OS FRN is 10.0

I can't quite make those out but it looks like for the hardware levels they are both at OS Series B & Processor Series B? This is correct. B for both processors

The Processor FRN looks to be "3.0" for each, yes? I think this is what you have been relaying back to me? This is correct. 3.0 for both processors.

OS FRN 16 seems to be the highest version I can download from Rockwell. Version 21 download does not give me the file to load the ControlFlash Upgrade Kit. The Micrologix 1400 L32 BXBA is already at Version 15, so it may not make much difference. The Micrologix 1400 L32 BWAA is at Version 10, so that may be a significant change.

It does appear that the I am back to square one on the changes needed, but i was going to add the suppressors and/or new processors regardless of the Firmware.

Thank you for the clarification. I hope to flash the firmware tomorrow when production is down.

Micrologix 1400 1766L32BWAAzoom.jpg Micrologix 1400 1766L32BXBAzoom.jpg

Last edited:
Mickey said:
I was not referring to the software, only the PLC firmware based on the link I posted which only shows ver 12 as the highest ver.

I beg your pardon Mickey and I do apologise!

I had quickly looked at the linked webpage and saw the software versions across the top. I thought you were cross referencing the controllers against the software versions so as to advice which version to use in reply to Steve's mention of "...The versions are from 11 to 21...", which of course we know refers to the firmware revisions. I did not pay enough attention to the slightly mixed up list of MicroLogix controllers on the left and the available firmware revisions beside them.

Apologies again.

But now that your link has got my "full" attention, please let me attempt to redeem myself...

Mickey said:

If you click on the link again and pay close attention to the dropdown selection above the list of products on the left. You will notice that it is currently set to "show selections". This option will display only the selected products which have usually been selected on the previous PCDC search page. On that previous search page you should have options like "Compare" or "Download". When you choose "Compare" it takes you to the compatibility page that you have linked and will default set this dropdown to "show selections" so as to only compare the selections you are interested in. That's not the only way to arrive at the page you linked. So if what I've explained is not exactly how you got there, it's not so important.

But this is...

If you change the dropdown to "show all versions" it will now update the list to show each product with an expandable + ellipses beside it. For the "1766-Lxx (series B)" i.e. MicroLogix 1400, you should now notice that the collapsed instance displays FRN 21.003 as its highest available. If you expand the + it should then list all available FRN: 11.000 - 21.003.

But now that we've found FRN 21.003 to download...

Steve Jackson said:
...OS FRN 16 seems to be the highest version I can download from Rockwell. Version 21 download does not give me the file to load the ControlFlash Upgrade Kit. The Micrologix 1400 L32 BXBA is already at Version 15, so it may not make much difference. The Micrologix 1400 L32 BWAA is at Version 10, so that may be a significant change.

Let's explain "the file" you did get when downloading FRN 21.003...

Version 13 of ControlFlash introduced a new method of downloading and installing firmware kits onto workstation computers...

Prior to version 13, ControlFlash software was supplied with Control Hardware Firmware Kits. To use a certain product firmware you had to download that firmware as a full Kit, including the necessary version of ControlFlash software. This Kit is presented as an MSI Windows Installer package. As newer Control Hardware Firmware Kits were released, so too were newer compatible versions of ControlFlash software. Essentially, the different Firmware Kits are embedded in the version of ControlFlash software they were released with.

Once downloaded and the MSI Setup.exe is executed, ControlFlash is installed and then the binary files for these Kits can be found in the many numbered folders within the ControlFlash software directory, if you care to view them. You cannnot download separate Firmware Kits and "simply" add them to ControlFlash. You must install them with the compatible version of ControlFlash required. Sometimes this could mean installing an older version of ControlFlash over a newer version just to use a particular older Firmware Kit.

Since version 13, or above, ControlFlash is still released with a Control Hardware Firmeware Kit for all current product firmware at that time. However, if you have already installed ControlFlash v13, or above, then you can now download newer individual Firmware Kits and expose them to the existing software. There is now no need to download and install ControlFlash each time you download a new Firmware Kit.

The format these new v13 and up Firmware Kits are downloaded as is a compressed archive, similar to a *.zip file. However, their file extension is *.dmk. This stands for Device Management Kit. It is a digitally signed file which contains the firmware binaries for the related product. These files are descriptively named so as to quickly identify which product and revision they relate to - Example: 1756-L73_28.011.dmk. ControlFlash must digitally verify each dmk file so as to help prevent malicious tampering or exploitation.

If you wish, you can view the compressed contents of these dmk files as is using the likes of 7-Zip. But there should be no need to extract them anywhere using this software.

There are a couple of ways to deploy these new Device Management Kit files on a workstation with a compatible version of ControlFlash already installed...

The ControlFlash search path - the newer versions of ControlFlash now provide a search path where storage folders of your choosing can be added to the search path list. These folders are then automatically scanned for Firmware Kit files when ControlFlash is run. The root directory for the ControlFlash software is automatically added to the search path list at installation -

32-bit: C:\Program Files\ControlFLASH
64-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\ControlFLASH

You can place all the dmk files in this root directory if you wish. However, if you prefer not to clog up the program software directory, then optionally you may create or choose a specific folder to store all the dmk files that you may acquire over time, and add this folder to the search path list.

Alternatively, the newer versions of ControlFlash software also provide a standalone tool known as the DMK Extraction Tool. This tool allows you to browse to the dmk file location and extract the contents into the ControlFlash directories, ready for use.

Which ever method you choose to expose the dmk files to ControlFlash, the newly added Firmware Kits should then be available for use the next time the ControlFlash software is run.

This change at v13 in how ControlFlash interacts with the Firmware Kits will have a cut-off, or crossover point with the downloadable firmware revisions available for many products. For instance, this is why revision 16 firmware for your MicroLogix downloads as the familiar MSI Windows Installer package which includes a pre v13 version of ControlFlash. This appears to be the cut-off point for this particular device. Once you download newer revision firmware for this device, they are most likely being delivered as standalone Device Management Kits (dmk).

Note: As ControlFlash is no longer provided with dmk downloads, the currently installed version of ControlFlash on your workstation, if any, may possibly be v12 or older, depending on what you may have flashed last (I'll get back to that in a second). To use the newer dmk files, you must separately download and install ControlFlash v13, or higher, in order to start using these files. I would recommend you download and install the latest version of ControlFlash - v14.01 at the time of writing. This can be downloaded using the PCDC website that you are already familiar with, I'm sure.

On the topic of what you may have flashed last - if you have already gone ahead and flashed the controller to revision 16 firmware, then not to worry. If you wish, you can still go ahead, with your newly acquired knowledge from the above, and further flash upgrade it to FRN 21.003.

Incidentally, and while I'm here - v14.01 of ControlFlash introduced the ability to now use RSLinx Enterprise, as well as RSLinx Classic, to browse to devices requiring a flash upgrade. RSLinx Enterprise supports communications for flash procedures using USB or Ethernet only. This is just a general piece of extra information and is not pertinent to what you may be attempting to achieve here.

It pains me that while all this effort is hopefully helping you to flash upgrade your controller to the latest FRN, I feel it is doing nothing to help resolve your main issue here. But still, like I said, it hurts none to use the latest FRN, and hopefully folks are learning something new along the way.

Regards,
George

I have the Micrologix 1400 L32 BWAA updated to Version 16.2. I am still waiting for the suppressor parts to arrive and the necessary downtime to update the Micrologix 1400 L32 BXBA.

FYI....When I ran the ControlFlash for the Micrologix L32 BWAA, the PLC program was no longer in the controller. I did have to download the PLC program back into the processor. It was not a significant problem, but it was a bit unexpected. Rookie...Ha!

I verified that 16.2 is now the OS FRN for the controller after the program download and going online with the processor.

Thanks Again for all the knowledge you have shared so far...I will keep you in the loop on my progress, for others to learn as well.

BWAA FRN update.jpg

Last edited:
Steve, do you mind posting the link to the snubber you ordered? I'm interested to see how these work and may end up using them on some of our machines, as none of them have any snubbers / surge suppressors. Thanks.

Steve, do you mind posting the link to the snubber you ordered? I'm interested to see how these work and may end up using them on some of our machines, as none of them have any snubbers / surge suppressors. Thanks.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19362

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/68198/page/1

199-MSMA1 Surge Supressor, R-C Suppressor (110-280V AC) is the suppressor

I selected the R-C Suppressor due to the multiple uses that it will have. I have read the MOV style suppressor is better in suppressing the signal, but can not withstand the "wear and tear" of constant use. Also keep in mind that my application is a 120 volt Solenoid valve, a 24 volt application will require a diode suppressor.

I believe the addition of the suppressors has been the ultimate fix for the Micrologix 1400 71h fault. Sorry it has taken so long to reply, but I wanted to collect plenty of data to confirm that there have been no more faults.

Thank you to all that have replied to this post!

Excellent news Steve and thanks for the update.

Just to add extra weight to the good advice dispensed here on grounding/suppression for those stumbling this way in future days...

565540 - What causes a 71h error code in a MicroLogix Processor
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George