Windows 10 Rockwell Software

I'm running all of my normal Rockwell apps (L5K, L500, FTV Studio, etc) on a Windows 10 Pro machine in VMware. Took a bit of effort at first, but works great now. Just planning ahead... ;)

I'm running all of my normal Rockwell apps (L5K, L500, FTV Studio, etc) on a Windows 10 Pro machine in VMware. Took a bit of effort at first, but works great now. Just planning ahead... ;)
As far I understand you have:

a) Host: Windows 10 Pro
b) VM: Windows 10 Pro

Am I right?

Could you tell us the version of the installed software? At least for me it would be very helpful to know what versions are working on Windows 10.

My IT people upgraded to Windows 10 everywhere and so far, after dealing with the "failure to log onto security server" message by repairing the factorytalk services platform and reinstalling the Rockwell automation CM runtime to (I believe) give me rights to create new projects, all is ok.... except my students can't use Save As.

how did you manage to get your Rockwell programs to install/run under win10? my IT guys spent nearly a week trying to install RSLogix 5000 v20.01 on a win10 machine and could not get it to install.

we also have VMWare 5.1

edit: after rereading your post, I believe you are running Rockwell under VMWare virtual win10 desktop and not on a Win10 PC desktop, correct?

Last edited:
how did you manage to get your Rockwell programs to install/run under win10? my IT guys spent nearly a week trying to install RSLogix 5000 v20.01 on a win10 machine and could not get it to install.

we also have VMWare 5.1

edit: after rereading your post, I believe you are running Rockwell under VMWare virtual win10 desktop and not on a Win10 PC desktop, correct?

There's a hardware abstraction layer either way, so if it works on one, it should work on the other. I have run RSLogix versions as old as v13 and as recent as v29 on both virtual and physical Windows 10 machines. v28 would neither export programs/routines nor Save As, but v29 is working well so far.

we also have VMWare 5.1

Many of the Windows 10 updates since initial release have dealt with software compatibility issues. I'm running RSLogix 5000 v20.01 on Windows 10 Pro x64 (host OS, not VM) without any problems.

You should have your IT guys give it another shot.

Just installed my whole Rockwell software suite on Windows 10 Pro (Pheewww....!). All installed and are running fine...

FT Activation Service
RSLogix 5000 v13 thru 20 and Studio5000 v21
CCW 10
Rslogix 500 10.0
FT View 8.2
Unsure about Panelbuilder, haven't needed it yet
RSLinx
Sistema
Safety Automation Builder

Just installed my whole Rockwell software suite on Windows 10 Pro (Pheewww....!). All installed and are running fine...

FT Activation Service
RSLogix 5000 v13 thru 20 and Studio5000 v21
CCW 10
Rslogix 500 10.0
FT View 8.2
Unsure about Panelbuilder, haven't needed it yet
RSLinx
Sistema
Safety Automation Builder

If you open a Studio 5000 program and go to File > SaveAs, does it work fine for you? It wouldn't work for me when I tried it, the dialog box would never show. Though I've seen people suggest that using the "free upgrade" of W10 had issues that a fresh install didn't and also setting programs to Windows 7 compatibility mode also resolved some issues. I abandoned ship.

Rockwell Software Compatibility with WIn 10

Hello Jay
No, I dont have luck with Windows 10. It actually messed up my 1756-L63B controller. I was in the middle of firmware upgrade using my win 10 Laptop. After all the blocks are downloaded, it had timed out. I found out that RSLinx is unresponsive anymore. It hung up. Now, the LED of the controller became solid red. Now I tried to use the desktop CPU with win 7 to upgrade the redundant controller, it went well.

Im now faced with this problem, on how to resume the firmware upgrade of the primary controller. RSLinx does not recognize the controller anymore. Anybody here who has an idea? Thanks.

Rockwell usually just has to swap out the controller. Sometimes they charge, but not so far...

i have no issue installing RSLogix5000 v10-20 in Windows 10 Pro, from v12 onwards, you need dotnet 1.1 and there will be error occur while you installing, therefore you need to google a way to install dotnet 1.1 before you can proceed with v12-20.

Surface Book I7 16gb ram Windows 10

I run a surface book with Rslogix 5,500, and 5000 installed v12-v19 are master disk installs on the surface book. It works great no issues. It was a little fun transferring the license over from a floppy but figured it out.

it seems a hit and miss in getting RSLogix to run under win10. I'm guessing it is my IT department, who controls software installs and permissions, just makes images of win10 on desktops and limits permissions on software and installs and they don't want non-IT people peeking behind their curtain ** sighs **

oh well, life of a municipality. we will be upgrading to a newer version of RSLogix next fiscal year or year after

RSLogix v 16.05 is now compatible with Windows 10.....not sure why this version was made compatible and all others not but it might have something to do with Windows server 2012....anyhow, i downloaded it and installed it on my windows 10 build 1803 PC and its running fine.