Windows7 RSlogix 500

PcRider

Well I finally got the registered starter version of RSlogix 500, and upgraded my laptop to Windows 7 Pro so I could run Windows virtual XP Mode.

I did manage to install the RSlogix 500 with no problem under XP mode, and I got my activation online OK. BUT, even though the activation shows up in factory talk activation tool, RSlogix says it has not been activated??

This virtual stuff is all new to me, I don't even like dual boots! Any help?

Thanks, PcRider

When you got your license activated, did you do so in Win7 or did you do so in the XP Mode virtual machine?

And....what did you tie it to? Hard disk, ethernet adapter?

OG

When you got your license activated, did you do so in Win7 or did you do so in the XP Mode virtual machine?

And....what did you tie it to? Hard disk, ethernet adapter?

OG

I was in the XP mode virtual machine when I got it activated. I tied it to the laptop ethernet adapter the first time. That didn't work. Then I fumbled around and tried rehosting, only to find that was a mistake. Then I did some reading some searching, and came across something on rockwell's site saying to use the hard disk, so again I rehosted to the hard disk. I only have one ReHost left this year.

Same results with all I've tried. Factory Talk can find the activation key, or at least it shows it in the factory talk current activations list. (I say that because these virtual folders have me confused.) Still RSlogix says its not been activated properly.

PcRider

I was in the XP mode virtual machine when I got it activated. I tied it to the laptop ethernet adapter the first time. That didn't work. Then I fumbled around and tried rehosting, only to find that was a mistake. Then I did some reading some searching, and came across something on rockwell's site saying to use the hard disk, so again I rehosted to the hard disk. I only have one ReHost left this year.

Same results with all I've tried. Factory Talk can find the activation key, or at least it shows it in the factory talk current activations list. (I say that because these virtual folders have me confused.) Still RSlogix says its not been activated properly.

PcRider

Got it going! (I think)
No more nag screen anyway, it appears the problem had to do with setting up factory talk directories. At any rate I ran the directories wizard, and it started working as it should.

Wanna know what I think of this virtual pc stuff? 🔨
Virtual PC did work, but its huge, and it makes a mess of my directories. I am locked out of folders..., I don't even know what folders do what. At least this way I don't have to buy a copy of XP-PRO, just to throw it away when rslogix supports windows 7.

I'm glad I was able to get it working, because once rslogix supports windows 7 I will be reformatting to get rid of all this virtual pc stuff.

I still think DOS was ok, This new stuff is a pain in the hard drive, with all these permissions.

PcRider

Thanks for listening once again!

Last edited:
Just came across this notice from Rockwell:

67020 - RSLogix 5/500/5000 on Windows 7

Even though RSLogix 5, 500 and 5000 have not been officially tested on Windows 7, can they still be installed?

As long as the Rockwell software package has achieved Windows Vista support, then Technical Support expects it to operate correctly on Windows 7* based on what we've tried so far.

• RSLogix 5 v7.40 or higher
  • RSLogix 500 v8.00 or higher
  • RSLogix 5000 v17.00 or higher
Notes:
RSLogix software is supported for 32-bit operating systems (x86). RSLogix software is not supported for 64-bit operating systems (x64) and has not been tested in that configuration.
It's recommended that User Account Control (UAC) turned off. The RSLinx Classic configured drivers list maybe blank if not disabled. Click START and type UAC... then drag the slider down to the bottom.
If installed on VISTA... then install WinHelp <Windows6.0-KB917607-x86.msu> from the following link WinHlp32.exe for Windows Vista
If installed on Windows 7*... then install WinHelp <Windows6.1-KB917607-x86.msu> from the following link WinHlp32.exe for Windows 7
See Answer ID 42682 for the official Rockwell Automation Software Product Compatibility Matrix.
* Until Windows 7 is supported, use at your own risk. In the event the software does not operate correctly, users may need to revert back to an operating system that was tested and supported.

Got it going! (I think)
No more nag screen anyway, it appears the problem had to do with setting up factory talk directories. At any rate I ran the directories wizard, and it started working as it should.

Wanna know what I think of this virtual pc stuff? 🔨
Virtual PC did work, but its huge, and it makes a mess of my directories. I am locked out of folders..., I don't even know what folders do what. At least this way I don't have to buy a copy of XP-PRO, just to throw it away when rslogix supports windows 7.

I'm glad I was able to get it working, because once rslogix supports windows 7 I will be reformatting to get rid of all this virtual pc stuff.

I still think DOS was ok, This new stuff is a pain in the hard drive, with all these permissions.

PcRider

Thanks for listening once again!
PcRider

What is the directories wizard and where do I find this. I am trying to get my activation to work under XP mode and I'm having the same problem that you experienced. Help! Thanks!

PcRider

What is the directories wizard and where do I find this. I am trying to get my activation to work under XP mode and I'm having the same problem that you experienced. Help! Thanks!

Start/Rockwell Software/Factory talk tools/Factory Talk Directory Configuration Wizard

Notice also I have XPmode configured to keep integration features turned off at start up. Currently UAC settings are turned off as well, as stated in the above replies.

I have not tried turning UAC back on, but I do know if the integration features are active, running RSlogix will give you the nag screen.

Good Luck, and thanks again to all,
PcRider

VM XP mode - RSLogix 500 online programming

All,

I have the same setup. Using XP mode in a VM which is on a Windows 7 machine. Thanks to these posts I was able to get FT, RSLinx and RS500 successfully installed in the VM. I was able to add the driver in Linx by hard setting the IP address of the windows machine in the ML1400 controller. Linx found the controller and everything looks good...Except..I have written some code in RS500 and set Ch1 to the same IP,subnet, gateway as is currently in the controller. The code downloads to the controller just fine but when I go to online mode it will run for about 3-4 seconds then kick me offline with an error saying I have lost communications to the processor. I am thinking this may be due to the IP of the VM not matching the IP of the Windows7 machine and the controller. Anyone run into a similar situation and work through this?

Thanks to all that reply. Rockwell won't support the use of VM for Logix but it seems more are going this route.

All,

I have the same setup. Using XP mode in a VM which is on a Windows 7 machine. Thanks to these posts I was able to get FT, RSLinx and RS500 successfully installed in the VM. I was able to add the driver in Linx by hard setting the IP address of the windows machine in the ML1400 controller. Linx found the controller and everything looks good...Except..I have written some code in RS500 and set Ch1 to the same IP,subnet, gateway as is currently in the controller. The code downloads to the controller just fine but when I go to online mode it will run for about 3-4 seconds then kick me offline with an error saying I have lost communications to the processor. I am thinking this may be due to the IP of the VM not matching the IP of the Windows7 machine and the controller. Anyone run into a similar situation and work through this?

Thanks to all that reply. Rockwell won't support the use of VM for Logix but it seems more are going this route.

If you are getting communication in one direction at startup, and its getting cut off I would suspect windows firewall first. You don't mention the firewall so I'm guessing. There is a windows firewall configuration utility included with the rslogix package, but you may need to go one step further and turn off the firewall in windows 7 before going into VM. Then configure the firewall in VM.
Just a thought hope it helps.
PcRider

Hey PcRider,

I tried disabling all Firewalls and anti-virus (both the Windows7 and VM) to no avail..Same issue when I try to go online with the processor - I get kicked off after a few seconds. I also tried changing the IP and subnet of the VM to match the Windows7 machine and that did not work either. What driver are you using for your processor? straight Ethernet or EthernetIP?. Shouldn't matter but maybe if I emulate your config I could be successful. Did you hard set the IP of the processor or use BOOTP? Thanks again. I'm thinking of trying to get an XP Pro laptop. I have XPHome on a machine but Linx doesn't run on Home Ed. Can't wait til everything gets up to speed with W7 - it runs pretty smooth. Regards.

Hey PcRider,

I tried disabling all Firewalls and anti-virus (both the Windows7 and VM) to no avail..Same issue when I try to go online with the processor - I get kicked off after a few seconds. I also tried changing the IP and subnet of the VM to match the Windows7 machine and that did not work either. What driver are you using for your processor? straight Ethernet or EthernetIP?. Shouldn't matter but maybe if I emulate your config I could be successful. Did you hard set the IP of the processor or use BOOTP? Thanks again. I'm thinking of trying to get an XP Pro laptop. I have XPHome on a machine but Linx doesn't run on Home Ed. Can't wait til everything gets up to speed with W7 - it runs pretty smooth. Regards.

I am using rs232 protocol on my setup. I'm afraid I don't even have the hardware to attempt using Ethernet.
I don't want to mislead you with guessing. I'll do some reading, but without hardware to experiment on, I don't know how much I can do.
Perhaps one of the many more knowledgable members here can tell you more?

Best wishes, PcRider

Win 7 and View SE

I have just been upgraded to a new Windows 7 box. I installed the virtual PC with xp mode, and have a couple questions. I have Linx, Logix 5 and 500, and View SE. I have the linx and Logix programs working, but am having trouble with the Factory Talk Directory Configuration Wizard. It tells me I cant configure the directories from a remote client, that it must be run from a Windows console computer instead...I'm not sure what to do about that one, any ideas guys? Also, the computer I use has two nic cards, one for company network, and one for automation. After unsuccessfuly trying to get the linx and logix communicating, I gave up and bought a USB wireless network adapter, which i can attach to the xp mode VM, and it works, but surely theres a way i can use the wired nic card. Thanks in advance,
Mike

I have just been upgraded to a new Windows 7 box. I installed the virtual PC with xp mode, and have a couple questions. I have Linx, Logix 5 and 500, and View SE. I have the linx and Logix programs working, but am having trouble with the Factory Talk Directory Configuration Wizard. It tells me I cant configure the directories from a remote client, that it must be run from a Windows console computer instead...I'm not sure what to do about that one, any ideas guys? Also, the computer I use has two nic cards, one for company network, and one for automation. After unsuccessfuly trying to get the linx and logix communicating, I gave up and bought a USB wireless network adapter, which i can attach to the xp mode VM, and it works, but surely theres a way i can use the wired nic card. Thanks in advance,
Mike

Guessing here, but if Factory talk is treating your nic as a foreign host then maybe virtual XP doesn't have its own drivers for the nic card, and its using the windows 7 drivers, which makes it a foreign host as far as Factory Talk is concerned?
If so you may just need to install the nic card drivers under virtual machine to make it local.
good luck PcRider