Rsnetworx Problem

Mray

Hi there,
I got a headache working with Devicenet network and I finally decided to post my issue.
I have Compactlogix with Devicenet scanner (1769-SDN) in Rack 01 and address 0, baudrate 125kb.

Before connecting any nodes, Rsnetworx shows scanner vert well, but as soon as I connect a node and reset the system, it does not show scanner and only shows node. I have tried several times connecting and disconnecting nodes and also trying different I/O devices as a node, but the same issue.
I installed all EDS files and am using standard round Devicenet cable and terminating resistor (120 ohm) in both ends. I use one resistor in scanner side and another one in node side.
I need your help to figure out what the problem is?

Appreciate you

Have you worked through the DeviceNet design guide for cable lengths (trunk and drop) and power connections? From experience, I know networks can be sensitive to these variables.

Try to update firmware of your SDN module to version 4. DeviceNet with CompactLogix always give some headaches.

Have you worked through the DeviceNet design guide for cable lengths (trunk and drop) and power connections? From experience, I know networks can be sensitive to these variables.

I have read all instructions and I use max 15' of Devicenet cable.

Hi there,
I got a headache working with Devicenet network and I finally decided to post my issue.
I have Compactlogix with Devicenet scanner (1769-SDN) in Rack 01 and address 0, baudrate 125kb.

Before connecting any nodes, Rsnetworx shows scanner vert well, but as soon as I connect a node and reset the system, it does not show scanner and only shows node. I have tried several times connecting and disconnecting nodes and also trying different I/O devices as a node, but the same issue.
I installed all EDS files and am using standard round Devicenet cable and terminating resistor (120 ohm) in both ends. I use one resistor in scanner side and another one in node side.
I need your help to figure out what the problem is?

Appreciate you

What exactly do mean by reset the system?

What Version of the 1769-SDN do you have?

What Model and Version of CompactLogix CPU?

Is Rack 1 and Ethernet Remote Rack off of the CompactLogix?

Stu....

Did this system work previously, or are you commissioning it for the first time ?

What status or error is indicated by the 2-digit display on the CompactLogix 1769-SDN scanner ? Does it change when you plug in the network to the Scanner ?

What model of 1769 CompactLogix controller are you using ? Can you browse its backplane and see other 1769-family modules ? How are you connected to that controller ?

The Scanner becoming unavailable to a browse suggests that the whole network is going "bus-off" (error 91) because you have a short or open circuit, or because your slave devices are set for a different data rate (and not for Auto-baud).

If you want to pursue the possibility of a software problem, start by summarizing the versions of your software tools, particularly RSLinx Classic and RSNetworx software.

What exactly do mean by reset the system?

What Version of the 1769-SDN do you have?

What Model and Version of CompactLogix CPU?

Is Rack 1 and Ethernet Remote Rack off of the CompactLogix?

Stu....

Hi sthompson,

Sorry for replying late. I did not have enough information to answer your questions.
Reset means I cycled the power. I use 1769-SDN v.B and 1769-L30ER v.B for CPU. Ethernet port is embedded in CPU module and DeviceNet module is next to CPU in rack 1. By the way, between CPU and DeviceNet is power supply.

Did this system work previously, or are you commissioning it for the first time ?

What status or error is indicated by the 2-digit display on the CompactLogix 1769-SDN scanner ? Does it change when you plug in the network to the Scanner ?

What model of 1769 CompactLogix controller are you using ? Can you browse its backplane and see other 1769-family modules ? How are you connected to that controller ?

The Scanner becoming unavailable to a browse suggests that the whole network is going "bus-off" (error 91) because you have a short or open circuit, or because your slave devices are set for a different data rate (and not for Auto-baud).

If you want to pursue the possibility of a software problem, start by summarizing the versions of your software tools, particularly RSLinx Classic and RSNetworx software.

Hi Ken Roach,

It was the first time I added DeviceNet scanner and I am almost sure that the module is in good condition. All other I/O modules in rack are seen in RSlinx and Studio 5000 and they work well. The scanner shows different numbers based on my changes for troubleshooting. It shows 75 or 79.
I use 1769-L30ER v.B as a CPU.

I have attached a screenshot of Rslinx window showing every thing well.

Untitled.jpg

The 1769-SDN has a two-digit display to give you status and fault information.

Please tell us what numbers are shown on that display.

Tell us more about the slave devices, and about what behavior or indications change when you connect them to the DeviceNet network.

This might be an obscure software or firmware bug (which is why we have asked for version of the software and firmware) or it might be a simple installation problem related to wiring or data rate (which is why we are asking about the slave devices and the indicators).

One of the first things you should do is be certain that the 1769-SDN has been configured for the proper node number. Most DeviceNet products use Node 63 right out of the box, and of course your Master and Slave devices can't have the same address.

If you did have a "Duplicate MAC ID" conflict like that, the display on the 1769-SDN would show status code 70 on the two-digit display.