How to become Factorytalk Adminsitrator

I was trying to change the name of my VM Windows user account. After that I started getting messages like "User 'X' is not a Factorytalk administrator. Log on as a Factorytalk administrator"

Any idea how to become a Factorytalk administrator? The user account that I changed the name on is already an Administrator.

Thanks.

If the system was left at default settings, you will need to be a Windows Administrator on the PC containing the FactoryTalk Directory.

This means that Windows users with administrative privileges on the local computer have full access to local and network applications, including the ability to set up security for the FactoryTalk system.

I tried to create a new account called 'PROGRAMMER' and gave it Administrator rights. I log into PROGRAMMER account and try to setup my Factorytalk Directory and it complains saying the same thing. Attached is the screenshot. This comes up when I do 'Local' directory

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
The 'PROGRAMMER' user account needs to be a Windows Administrator.

Within the FactoryTalk Administration Console navigate to System/Users and Groups/User Groups/Windows Administrators. Is PROGRAMMER listed as a Windows Administrator?

Last edited:
The 'PROGRAMMER' user account needs to be a Windows Administrator.

Within the FactoryTalk Administration Console navigate to System/Users and Groups/User Groups/Windows Administrators. Is PROGRAMMER listed as a Windows Administrator?

Yes it is a Windows administrator. See Capture1.

It also shows in Factorytalk Administrator Console when I login to 'Network' Administration Console. See Capture2.

It does not show any Windows users or Users when I login to 'Local' Administrator Console. See Capture 3.

Capture1.PNG Capture2.PNG Capture3.PNG

PROGRAMMER is a Windows Administrator on some VM.

PROGRAMMER needs to be a Windows Administrator on the physical machine running the FactoryTalk Directory; the machine you are trying to login on without administrative credentials...

Chances are the FTD Security had been implemented at the system's initial setup; you will have to do some research about the setup; IT might need to be involved.

I did change the name of the computer as well. Would that mess up anything? Do you suggest uninstall, reinstall? I am lost. I think as you are saying, the PROGRAMMER is an administrator on the PROGRAMMER-VM but Factorytalk Directory is running under the OLD-NAME-VM? Does that make sense? If so, how do I make Factorytalk run on PROGRAMMER-VM (new name for the VM)

Capture5.PNG

Last edited:
What are you trying to accomplish?
Is this a new install?
Why do you need to access the FTD settings?

FactoryTalk Directory is 'The Big Eye in The Sky' of any distributed FactoryTalk application ; it is usually installed on a Server Class machine belonging to the Windows Domain the rest of FactoryTalk Services 'serviced' applications reside within.

Find out where the FTD is located; it is obvious it is not located on the machine you have administrator credentials for.

I have a VM with all of Rockwell software installed on it. I have to change the Windows computer name of the VM, create a new user 'PROGRAMMER' with admin rights and delete completely the previous user.

I don't have the remotest idea how to find where FTD is located? I assume it should be on the VM itself?

One of reason I need FTD access is because RSLinx Enterprise does not run when I open it up in Factorytalk View Studio. It throws the error mentioned before.

If this is a stand alone VM install, uninstall all FactoryTalk View related applications, reboot and re-install; the location of the FTD is determined at install time; once active, do not alter the FTD settings unless properly informed of 'how to...'.

Last edited:
I have a VM with all of Rockwell software installed on it. I have to change the Windows computer name of the VM, create a new user 'PROGRAMMER' with admin rights and delete completely the previous user.

I don't have the remotest idea how to find where FTD is located? I assume it should be on the VM itself?

One of reason I need FTD access is because RSLinx Enterprise does not run when I open it up in Factorytalk View Studio. It throws the error mentioned before.

Create the new Windows Administrator account prior to re-installing FactoryTalk View.

Changing the computer name can screw up factory talk directory.

Make sure your Windows Administrator account has a password.

Open "Factory Talk Administration Console" File-Log on and select Directory:Network and use Windows Administrator Password.

Under Computers and Groups\Computers add the new VM's computer name.

It may only work to add the PC name before the name changed. Maybe change it back, add the new VM's name, then change it again.

I've had particular grief with FTV if the PC has changed names if it has ever been open. RSLogix survives a lot better. If I install FTV but never open it, it will survive an image deployment to another PC. I will see if I can dig up the errors.

The tool "Specify FactoryTalk Directory Location" will show IF it's pointed to another FT server, and allow you to change it. In your FTAC window in capture 1 it says "Network (THIS COMPUTER)" meaning it is not pointed to a remote Network directory.

Try "FactoryTalk Directory Configuration Wizard", and try re-configuring the Local directory (it will ask for your local Windows admin password).