Studio5k hotkeys

Sorry - Off Topic for a minute...

JohnCalderwood said:
Headed for the Rockwell website to get this article, now faced with "upgrades will require you to change your password...."

I have only my password for 5 1/2 years......here we go again.....

"give us your email address and we will send you a link to change your password.."

John (or anyone that's run into this lately),

This has occured because they made changes/updates to the Knowledgebase website. For instance, I'm sure you've noticed the message at the top of the Knowledgebase webpage stating how an update has resulted in user comments being no longer supported in technote articles? We've even discussed that a little here on the Forum. Anyway, as a result of these changes they require already registered users to re-register their credentials. However, and even though the message you are receiving is instructing you to "change" your password, you can in fact simply re-register the same password again. That is what I did myself a couple of weeks back and it worked.

Hopefully there aren't users reading this that have already changed their long standing Knowledgebase passwords, much to their annoyance? But I still think you should be able to perform another password change, reverting back to the original password, if you so wish.

Regards,
George

Hopefully there aren't users reading this that have already changed their long standing Knowledgebase passwords, much to their annoyance? But I still think you should be able to perform another password change, reverting back to the original password, if you so wish.

Regards,
George

The last time I did anything with RA passwords (many years ago), it wouldn't let me use a password I had used in the previous 12 months !!

Reminds me of the old cabbages password joke (WARNING, contains adult humour/nasty words).

The last time I did anything with RA passwords (many years ago), it wouldn't let me use a password I had used in the previous 12 months !!...

That's what I had expected would happen here but I just tried the same old password for the heck of it and it took. I don't know if this was a "1-off-pass" because of the inconvenience it would likely cause users (not that preventing that is top of RA's agenda most days) and that subsequent password changes would then be as expected - not the same as in x days/months.

It's more likely they don't quite hate "cabbage" to the degree you linked and do allow the same password be used again? I haven't changed mine since forever so I don't know from experience. All I know is that mine has a Capital letter, at least 1 number, a special character, and uses at least 8 characters. I wouldn't typically have done as such by default so they must have requested this level password strength.

I wonder if any companies enforce their password Security measures down to this level, where employees using online services are instructed to change their passwords at fixed intervals, such as the Knowledgebase and others? Mine has strict policies but not quite that strict. It wouldn't be very practicle now would it? But since when have IT policies been about what is practicle? If they were looking for the likes of these passwords to be regularly changed, I would most definitely start a revolt!

Apologies once again for the off-topic but I do think the "hotkeys" topic has been pretty well answered all the same.

G.

I wonder if any companies enforce their password Security measures down to this level, where employees using online services are instructed to change their passwords at fixed intervals, such as the Knowledgebase and others? Mine has strict policies but not quite that strict. It wouldn't be very practicle now would it? But since when have IT policies been about what is practicle? If they were looking for the likes of these passwords to be regularly changed, I would most definitely start a revolt!
G.

The company I used to work for for 19 years, evolved over the years with more and more "IT", so they employed an IT guy...

We had to change our passwords every 30 days, not a calendar month, every 30 days, and we weren't allowed to use any of the previous 12.

When I complained to him that it was a proverbial PITA, he said "just use the same password with Jan, Feb, Mar etc. on the end like I do....."

Go figure ....

daba said:
...When I complained to him that it was a proverbial PITA, he said "just use the same password with Jan, Feb, Mar etc. on the end like I do....."

Go figure ....

Exactly, they vehemently espouse the absolute requirement for all this in the name of "Security" and "Data Integrity" and then simply advise us to make it nice and simple for ourselves, and not what is safer for the data they supposedly want to protect.

I can attest to the fact that just about every employee from our company I have spoken to around the World, and there are thousands (working for us that is, not that I've spoken to!) and they all say pretty much the same thing - that they append the calendar month to their rolling password. Many, including myself, simply use a rolling numerical "01" for Jan., "02" for Feb., etc. So I always know my password and just have to remember which Month of the Year it is. If I ever get to a day where I struggle with that, then I think it will be safer if I can't access any services, full stop!

G.

Exactly, they vehemently espouse the absolute requirement for all this in the name of "Security" and "Data Integrity" and then simply advise us to make it nice and simple for ourselves, and not what is safer for the data they supposedly want to protect.

I can attest to the fact that just about every employee from our company I have spoken to around the World, and there are thousands (working for us that is, not that I've spoken to!) and they all say pretty much the same thing - that they append the calendar month to their rolling password. Many, including myself, simply use a rolling numerical "01" for Jan., "02" for Feb., etc. So I always know my password and just have to remember which Month of the Year it is. If I ever get to a day where I struggle with that, then I think it will be safer if I can't access any services, full stop!

G.

Ha, my company get around that by forcing an IT password change every 4 weeks,so you need to be a bit more creative........