PanelView 600 can't see SLC5/03 I/O

GlennA

I have been searching past posts and manuals and I'm not understanding the mapping process.
I have a SLC5/03 with a PanelView 600 and 1747-SN RIO that I am trying to re-program.
The short version is the slc does respond to the PanelView <F2> key as I:1/2. And the old ladder logic includes I:1/32, but no description. But I can't get slc input I:2/10 to pass validation in the PanelBuilder32 tag editor. I have tried I:1.2/10, I:1.20/10, I:0.02/10. The errors that I get are 'slot number does not match other tags', and 'tag does not have a valid address in the terminals assigned discrete rack'.
Some details: the PanelView 600 is cat #2711-K6C1, Color Key, FRN 3.00-3.09, possibly upgraded to 4. Physical RIO, RS232, Protocol RIO, DF1.
The SLC is #1747-L532E, 5/03 CPU, 16k memory, OS 302 series C.
The chassis is #1746-A13, 13 slot rack.
The scanner is 1747-SN RIO, in the left-most slot, after the CPU. Adv Config shows 32 scanned input words, 32 scanned output words. The G Data shows Group 0 checked, as Device #1, I/O words 0 through 7.
There are 5 of 16 point input cards labeled slot 2 through 7, and 5 of 16 point output cards labeled 8 through 12. The I/O seem to all map correctly in the ladder programming.
Somewhere I am missing the meaning of chassis, rack, slot, group, and word.
Can someone please point me in the right direction ?

I don't believe I:2/10 is valid, try I:2.0/10 ( I:<slot>.<word>/<bit> )

It would be easier if you could post both your RSLogix 500 file and the PB32 file, or at least with the portions stripped out that don't mean anything. Makes it easier on this end.

Hi Glenn !

Your post somehow got stranded down here in the "Practice Posting" section but we'll take up the topic anyhow.

One of the tricky things about RIO PanelViews is that they really can only see the Discrete I/O block that the Adapter represents, as well as any Block Transfers addressed to them.

On the PLC/SLC/Logix Scanner side, the addresses are going to look different, because they involve the I/O scanner's address method, whether that's a PLC-5 RIO scanner channel or a 1747-SN.

Because that 1747-SN is in Slot 1, the discrete I/O image will be I:1.0-31 and O:1.0-31. Those 32 Words of data represent four logical Racks: 0, 1, 2, and 3.

The PanelView sounds like it is Rack 0, with a size of Full Rack (0-7).

In the SLC-500, the data table associated with the PanelView will be I:1.0-7 and O:1.0-7.

Now to the PanelView side.

The PanelView doesn't know a thing about the Slot number of the 1747-SN. In fact, it doesn't really care that it is being scanned as though it is RIO rack 00. It just knows it's exchanging a Full Rack (8 words In, 8 words Out) of data with the scanner.

But in PanelBuilder we want to use familiar addressing. So PanelBuilder lets you address that discrete data block as though it was and I/O table, with addresses I:0-7 and O:0-7.

Note that there's no Slot number ! The PanelView isn't reading the SLC data table, but rather giving you a familiar way to address that block of data it's slinging back and forth with the 1747-SN.

This is more or less from memory. Post the *.PBA file if you can.

file upload procedure ?

The file attachment function doesn't like the .rss and .pva extensions. I changed the file extensions to .txt to get them to upload - they may now be corrupt. Is there a another way to upload these files ?
Also, I can't attach the .pva with the changes I am trying to make because the Save fails on the tag error.
I am trying to create a multistate indicator (2 states, 0 and 1) to display the condition of slc I:2/10.
The LAD-Station 1 routine shows the inputs driving bits B3:6/## to try to use a Block Write = it didn't work either.
I:2.0/10 in the PanelView32 Tag Editor gave the error message 'slot number of address does not match other tags'.
I am wondering if there is a problem with the other tag's addressing instead ?

The file attachment function doesn't like the .rss and .pva extensions. I changed the file extensions to .txt to get them to upload - they may now be corrupt. Is there a another way to upload these files ?

What you did usually works without corruption. What I prefer to do is to zip the files first (browse to folder, right click, send to zipped (compressed) folder). Then we, when opening them, don't have to figure out which is which or rename them, simply open them within the zipped folder or extract them first. It's obvious what the file names are in your case, but I think you'll like zipping them better. The forum protects itself from malware by limiting the file types you can upload.

zipped files

These are the zipped files.
The .zip function had been disabled on my company computer - I hope IT doesn't notice it works !

I have been reviewing the manual information and I am wondering if I have to use a Block Transfer Write to send the slc I/O information to the PanelView ?

There are 2 tags assigned to that address:
MF1, which is not used anywhere according to PB32, and S2 which is assigned as a momentary PB on screen 2 Maintenance.

So when you go to that screen and press F2, I:01.0/02 (a.k.a. I:1/2) should "light up" for a minimum (hold time) of 500ms or as long as you hold the button.

EDIT: Looking at the rss comments, you are calling I:1/2 HMI F3. I suggest you monitor the input table while pressing the questionable buttons, and fix the addresses and comments as you go along. ALSO, I need to read some more, but I do believe that the first byte of the first word is reserved for BTR/BTW processing. I:1/2 is within that range but the PB32 app validates without error. Maybe that space is available when you have no assigned block transfers...

As for your most recent question, it depends usually on how much data you need to move. Even a full rack is not a whole lotta numbers, so if you need to move more than that in either direction, block transfers or fancy multiplexing code may be called for.

Last edited:
I:1/2 PanelView function button

I have only begun to program the PanelView function buttons into the slc ladder program, but the ones that I have programmed seem to be workimg fine.

This machine has been partially re-programmed and dropped into my lap. I know there are duplicates, and they are on my list of stuff to tidy up.

I am getting block transfer control byte and pass-thtough errors when I try to use those functions.

I have an Omron CP1 with an NP5 HMI, and the communication setup for those was a piece of cake - especially compared to this !

GlennA said:
I have only begun to program the PanelView function buttons into the slc ladder program, but the ones that I have programmed seem to be working fine.

This machine has been partially re-programmed and dropped into my lap. I know there are duplicates, and they are on my list of stuff to tidy up.

Okay then, so this is not a machine that worked fine and nothing has changed then suddenly...

It's a project in progress. This is good. Now's the time to iron out those oh-oh's.

GlennA said:
I am getting block transfer control byte and pass-thtough errors when I try to use those functions.

So, that is what I was going to look up, but you answered it for me: You can use those first 8 bits until you set up a BTR/BTW pair. My suggestion then, based on the above, is to mark (comment) those first 8 bits in the input word and the output word as reserved and do not use them on either end for anything. This is only the first 8 bits of the first word in each direction. If you open Panelbuilder 32 help and search for "remote I/O" there should be a pictogram to help explain.

Move your button addresses to I:1/8 and above, and your indicator addresses to O:1/8 and above.

GlennA said:
I have an Omron CP1 with an NP5 HMI, and the communication setup for those was a piece of cake - especially compared to this !
Yes, RIO with a Panelview is one of the more difficult. At least it's a SLC and not a PLC-5 so you don't have to mess with octal addressing!

On the bright side, RIO is solid as a rock once you get it set up. I have heard stories of it working fine with 120vac riding on it! Also, it forces you to organize your tags into contiguous blocks keeping comms efficient.

Those two advantages hardly make it worth the headache for someone new to the protocol, but you are a big chunk of the way "home" now:

EDIT: Nevermind...you already posted this info. It appears from RSLogix500 help on the BTR instruction, your SLC does support the easy block transfer method.
What is the series/revision of your 1747-SN module and your 5/03? Setting up BTR/BTW logic on that end may depend on those values. I am not sure if the 1747-SN numbers matter, but the main thing may be the 5/03 OS (operating system) revision level. Newer ones (since like 1996 IIRC) support the BTR and BTW instructions. Older revs require manipulation of M0/M1 files.

For now, I would not use the BTR/BTW functions. Just skip those first 8 bits so you can add it later, and get your basic buttons and indicators working.

It looks like you will have to move quite a few tags in both programs to free up space for block transfers. Several of them are alarm triggers. Once you edit those tags and get then mapped over to the SLC file, post an updated zipped folder with them and we can help you set up the BTR/BTW logic.

Last edited:
leave lowest bytes for BTR, BTW

I renamed the PanelView I: and O:1.0/0 through 15 to :1.1/0 through 15 since the previous programming used up to /10.
I am re-reading the manuals again to see what I may have missed. Things like the difference between 1/0 and 1.0/0, which in RSLogix had caused me a problem at one time.