Connecting to an old TotalControl with QuickDesigner 3.7

Dryhops

I've been resurrecting an older machine from 2005 and have had good success with help from the forum. Got connected to the PLC and was able to test I/O, so thanks!

Now I'm trying to connect to a TotalControl QuickPanel and have a few questions. First, can anyone provide the trial copy of QuickDesigner 3.7? It was circulating in a few threads a couple years ago, but the links are broken. I have prepared both windows 2000 and windows XP VMs to try to install it.

The panel has a Modbus Plus communications adapter shown in the image below, which is how it communicates with a SE quantum PLC. This is in addition to two serial ports, a D and a micro port, as well as an ethernet. Which of these communications methods should I be trying to connect with? Can I use the standard comms even with the modbus plus adapter installed?

My goal is to try to backup the HMI program, and possibly modify it.

Thanks for your time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_20210217_081052352.jpg IMG_20210217_081131543.jpg IMG_20210217_081057689.jpg IMG_20210217_081104977.jpg

The Micro Port is what you will use for communicating with Quick Designer software. It also requires a special TTL/RS232 interface cable. Do not try to connect RS232 to it directly.
Before spending any money on software or cable, I'd suggest you try to find someone local who can come in and try to extract the program for you. In order for anyone to be able to extract the program from the QP, the original programmer must have included the source file in what was sent to the unit. If not, you're out of luck as far as modifications are concerned.

That looks like the correct cable. And the seller is first-rate.

The original programmer had an option when he transferred the project to the HMI. He could choose to either allow or disallow the end user from extracting the project file from the HMI. If he chose to disallow, you will still be able to connect. But when you try to upload the project file from the HMI to your PC, you will get a message that uploading is not possible.