Cognex Insight 5400 with Control Logix.

Andybr

We have just replaced an old Insight 5400 Camera and the firmware revision has changed from 3.2 to 12.1. The new camera has been set up and the job file installed but it will not connect to the PLC. I suspect that the problem is that the old camera was added to the PLC project as a generic ethernet device but the new version needs to be added using the Cognex AOP.
The data is written from the camera to the PLC using a WriteEIP command and triggered by a message instruction in the PLC. The input and output assemblies for the generic ethernet device were set at 33 DINTs however we are only reading 25 DINTs of data.
Does anybody know whether I can get the new camera to work if I replace the generic ethernet device with the AOP and set the data size to 32 DINTs. I logged this with Cognex tech support last week but have not yet had any reply and we are desperate to get this working. I cannot just try it and see as the system is in production adn I do not want to lose the data from another three cameras which are on the same system.

What is the model number of the new camera?

If using the AOP you will probably not be able to choose 33 DINTS because the data transfer size is selected from a drop down list. For example, the 5000 series rev 10 choices are: 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 122. Similar for others, though I do not have rev 12 on any profiles at this time.

I'm not sure where the message instruction comes into play, though. If using EIP, the data transfer is automatic.

I will set the data transfer size at 32 bytes as I said above. I am only using the first 25 DINTs so this should not make any difference. The message is to trigger the camera. As you say the data transfer is automatic.

Adding the AOP camera will create new tags for the name you give it. That could also cause an issue in your program. It might be wise to test an offline change before making production changes.

dumb question. Did you assign the new camera the same IP as the generic module?

Actually, in looking at the data type created by the AOP, the status bits occupy a DINT, in addition to the user data specified in the drop-down. So 32 input DINTS will likely behave exactly as the 33 generic DINTS.

On the (PLC) output side, you may be able to simplify the program using bi-directional EIP data. In this case you can eliminate the message and use PLC output bits .Control.TriggerEnable and .Control.Trigger for image acquisition. The Trigger bit would be pulsed for a duration greater than the EIP requested packet interval (RPI), while the TriggerEnable is kept high. On the other hand, if the message works, maybe no good reason to change.

Actually, in looking at the data type created by the AOP, the status bits occupy a DINT, in addition to the user data specified in the drop-down. So 32 input DINTS will likely behave exactly as the 33 generic DINTS.

On the (PLC) output side, you may be able to simplify the program using bi-directional EIP data. In this case you can eliminate the message and use PLC output bits .Control.TriggerEnable and .Control.Trigger for image acquisition. The Trigger bit would be pulsed for a duration greater than the EIP requested packet interval (RPI), while the TriggerEnable is kept high. On the other hand, if the message works, maybe no good reason to change.

Our PLC code indexes through 4 cameras one at a time so i would prefer to keep as much of the original code as possible for the new camera.Provided the "SE" command in the message will still trigger the camera I will just map the returned data to the original array and the code should work correctly. My concern is which elements in the new array the data will end up in.

Provided the "SE" command in the message will still trigger the camera I will just map the returned data to the original array and the code should work correctly. My concern is which elements in the new array the data will end up in.

Based on my experience with older revs, when you add the camera to the I/O tree via the AOP, new tags will be created with data types (e.g., rev 11, bi-directional, 32 DINTS):

CC:InSight11_DINT32:I:0
CC:InSight11_DINT32:O:0

If your camera name is CAM_A, for example, the tags will be named:

CAM_A:I
CAM_A:O

The CAM_A:I will have a "Status" item (bits) and "InspectionResults" array of 32 DINTS. The WriteEIP instruction will start filling InspectionResults at element zero. For example,

CAM_A:I.InspectionResults[0]

It would be interesting to hear if it is OK to mix implicit and explicit messaging to Cognex cameras.

Mispeld
We have been running systems using this arrangement at many sites worldwide for years and never had any problems. Unfortunately it is the reliability of these systems which has led to the problem we now have trying to replace an old camera with a much newer one.

Are you sure the Camera is running a version 12 firmware?

The 5400 series shouldn't be able to go past 4.10.4 right now iirc...

The module properties in Logix5000 show the revision as 12.1. Version 12 is available as an option in the latest AOP.

Dravik.
The revision number is from the module properties for the generic ethernet module. The AOP is not used in our current programme. This is the revision which is being returned when I go online to the PLC and open the generic module.

interesting thread, I also have the same question
o.png