OT: refilling Epson CX5400 colour printer ink cartridges. How to reset the smartchip?

Sliver

The wife and family have been draining the ink cartridges, so I went out and bought an ink refill system from 'ims'.
In the instructions for my type of "T" cartridges is the note,
'Cartridges have a smartchip that needs to be reset. Consult www.ims-ink.com or call 888-304-6125.'
Well I tried the website but no specific info on my cartridges.
I tried the 1-888 number but they are not open on Sundays.
I searched google for Epson "T" cartridge refill smartchip and found that there is a little gizmo for sale from between $7 and $40 US that claims to be able to reset the ink cartridge.

Has anyone run across this before? Is there a schematic out there so I may be able to build my own 'resetter'?
Here is one of the sites I found.

thanks
Brian.

Yah Chuck, that website references a resetter that specifically includes my model printer. Cost $19.95.
If no-one else has been through this I guess I'll call IMS tommorrow and see what they have to say. Likely they'll offer to sell me a resetter too.
Trying not to turn this to a rant but what the heck right do the printer companies have trying to restrict the use of refill inks. Everyone knows they sell their printers at deep discounts to take advantage of overpriced ink cartridge sales.
Maybe next they will have a sensor to see what brand of paper we are using!
What happened to reduce, reuse, recycle. All that smartchip technology going into a disposable package! Arghhh!

Got my resetter off eBay. Paid about $10.00.
Received a letter this week about a class action lawsuit against Epson. Ink use is estimated, so the cartridges report empty before they are.

Mine was a CX6400. Refilling is done from the bottom of the cartridge. Kit had cheap circle stickers. One fell off (our fault for trying to reuse sticker), and tank emptied out onto head. Head area made quite a sizzling sound, then shut down. Did what I could but it was too late. Head is toast.

From what I've read the effect of NO INK is similar to the flood of ink, a blown head since the ink partially cools the head. The 'estimate' is an attempt to prevent this scenario. Making it non-resettable by the end user seems a bit too protective.

Future Shop and Staples both told me they stopped selling the resetter last year. Sales person told me these cartridges were notoriously bad for leaking after being refilled, so don't feel too bad Keith. Guy at IMS support told me they recommend using packing tape to reseal cartridges.
So after a lot of runaround I pulled out my wallet (again) and paid $117 for new ink cartridges.

thanks again,

Brian.

I'm not 100% sure on your model of Epson, but I bought my Epson 925 photo printer for one reason, CHeap inks. On an average I purchase 10 carts from one or two ebay sellers for about $25. (That's about $2.50 per cartrage.) I used to refill, but using these cheap ink tanks seems just as cheap, with out the mess.

I'd have to look at home, but I have a utility which allows you to mess with the ink counters. On my model printer, it will not allow me to reset the counters, but in turn, I can turn on the ink freezer, which esentially stops the counters. When the low ink light starts flashing, I freeze the counters. Once froze, I have gone up to 3 weeks longer before running out of ink.

Not sure if it's due to the cheap inks, but I do seem to have to clean the heads more often that I remember with the expensive carts, but hten hey, inks cheap.

2 weeks ago, I had a message that popped up stating that something had reached the end of its life. THe printer was dead. Said to take for service. This message is for the waste ink spung inside the printer. I rest that, back in business now. I should go in and clean that spunge before long though.

Try Googling for "SSC Service" or SSC utility and Epson printers. Should I remember, I'll look for the name of that software and post later.

I threw my brand new Epson printer in the garbage can after fighting with filling and reseting and all the problems with that. I will never have anything to do with Epson again. HP now

List of supported printers available on their site. There is a new version than the one I use and looked like a number of newer printers were added.

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

Anyone else wanting to throw out thier Epson, let me know. I might be interested. Like I said, I went Epson because of cheap inks. I was going broke printing pictures with my HP. I read reviews before hand, but actually have had little to no problems as compared to what I was reading in the reviews. I do clean the heads somewhat regularly, but then I don't replace heads every time I change cartrages. This is partly the reason for finding cheap inks. Only changing ink tanks, not ink tanks and a print head every time.