DC supplies for loop power

godfrey

With control panel design being one of my duties, I can't help but snoop in other peoples cabinets when I am on site commissioning mine. I have noticed that some cabinets use linear power supplies for loop power. I prefer switching supplies. I haven't had problems. What's your preference?

Usually I use switching supplies as well. Generally just the 24V control voltage.

I did have one application using some linear position sensors that seemed to have a problem with excessive noise on the switching power supply. In this case I used linear power supplies, one per unit.
This was a one off fix for a unique problem with a poorly designed (EMF) wise board and a cheapo switching power supply.

Same line, different board 100m away with a better quality power supply (Siemens), same linear position sensor, no problems.

Doug