PanelView Plus 600

Skidood

Hi group, I have a PV+ 600 with a dead screen or backlight but the unit still powers up with no fault LED. Is there a way I can pull the runtime file out of this panel without having to use the screen? I do not have any HMI software from Rockwell, just RSLogix 500 and 5000, and RSLinx.

You can download and install the FactoryTalk View ME Tranfer Utility for free from the Rockwell PCDC. It doesn't require a license.

Failing that, it *might* be possible to write a script and put it on a memory card or USB, that would automatically run and extract the files, but for my time and money I'd just download the transfer utility. It's a useful tool to have regardless of whether you can actually open and edit the files you get

I tried the USB stick trick, it didn't work. The File Transfer utility download from Rockwell also was not an option, as it wanted to install RSLinx Enterprise on my system and I didn't want that, and could not de-select it, even in Custom Install. It also wanted to install Factory Talk something something and the problem is, I am in the middle of another important project and don't want my system to get messed around with by Rockwell's overly complicated shenanigans.

The autorun.bat file I put on the USB stick (after converting from .txt to .bat) has this in it:

[autorun]
copy \Application Data\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime\*.mer \USB Storage\

I had to cycle the HMI power with the USB stick plugged in. During bootup I saw a window come up that said "Application not found". There are 2 mer files in the internal storage, this I know for sure, as I am using a freshly remanufactured panel I set up yesterday for quick deployment at a customer if needed.
Any advice? TIA.

You need quotes anytime there are spaces in a file or folder name.

copy "\Application Data\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime\*.mer" "\USB Storage\".

Otherwise the operating system sees the space as the end of the command: copy \Application

Which obviously doesn't work.

OG

whats the firmware on the PV? I THINK the folder structure may have been different on the older Firmwares.

i think that code may be a bit off as well, because anything with a space needs to be captured in quotes "x"

copy \"Application Data"\"Rockwell Software"\RSViewME\Runtime\*.mer\"USB Storage"\

copy and paste that into a .txt file on your computer.
File---Save As---File name : autorun.bat---Save as type:All Files

BEFORE you do that format the USB stick to FAT, the PV's seem to like that better. Then do as i said above. I dont have a PV in front of me to test this sorry, so Im going off memory as to what ive done in the past.

The source portion of the copy statement only needs one set of quotes. The destination needs just one set of quotes.

The source is: "\Application Data\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime\*.mer"

And the destination is: "\USB Storage\"

So, copy "\Application Data\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime\*.mer" "\USB Storage\" is what is needed.

OG

If the screen back light is gone and screen not defective or damaged, take the panel out, go to a room with not too bright light, apply power and connect keyboard to it, turn the panel angle with your sight or may play a flashlight a little, you should see something on the screen.then go to configuration mode. we can copy .mer file to external usb drive.
If you can see nothing, for me i can disassemble the lcd screen panel, then i apply some light on the back of the screen.

Last edited:
FW is 5.10.00

OK I have not had the time to analyze the responses this mrning starting with Jzerb's last message. i have to run out the door but dropped in here to post this...it didn't work using the text from that webpage. I condensed the text to the following and still saw some "file not found" indications come up on the screen that appears when exeuting but it goes so fast I can't absorb it all.
[autorun]
echo on

REM BACKUP ALL .MER FOR PVPLUS 6

REM **************************************************************
REM STEP 1 – Make backup MER folder on the PVPlus 6 in case copy fails

CD\application data\rockwell software\rsviewme

MD backup

REM STEP 2 – Copy MER files to the backup directory created above

CD runtime

COPY *.* “\application data\rockwell software\rsviewme\backup”

REM STEP 3 – Copy the MER files to the USB STORAGE DEVICE

COPY *.* “\usb storage”

REM STEP 4- Make correct directory on USB Drive (may already exist)

CD\usb storage

MD “Rockwell Software”

CD Rockwell Software

MD RSViewME

CD RSViewME

MD Runtime

CD Runtime

REM STEP 5 – COPY MER files to correct directory on the USB Drive

CD\Application Data\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime

COPY *.* “\USB Storage\rockwell software\rsviewme\runtime”

Some of the text has quotes and some doesnt which looks suspect to me.
I am going to try the tips provided since Jzerbs last post and get back to you later today. I truly appreciate the input. I have been having a rough time lately in many respects, not just PLC stuff.

Sorry, i gave the wrong firmware...its actually 5.00.11.55
Anyway, still not working using :

copy "\Application Data\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime\*.mer" "\USB Storage\"

That webpage was for a Plus 6 not a PanelView Plus 600 so maybe the file path or folder structure is incorrect as previously mentioned as a possibility.

yup, folder structure is different that what I have been using.

REM NOTE: CHANGES FROM PVPLUS TO PVPLUS 6:
REM The internal storage project directory has changed from:
REM "\storage card\rockwell software\rsviewme\runtime\"
REM to
REM "\Application Data\Storage Card\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime"

It worked. Thank you all for your help.

COPY "\storage card\rockwell software\rsviewme\runtime\*.mer" "\USB Storage\"

That was the only text I needed to enter ...the [autorun] at the beginning is not needed

I found the new names/folder structure by spending 99 cents for the script package from that automationblog website. Have a great weekend.

Last edited: