Windows 10

Skidood

This is an adjunct to my last query about new laptops. I run RS Logix 500 V9 and RS Linx Classic Lite and cannot update to newer software nor do I need to. Since new or refurb laptops come with Windows 10 now, do I have to get W 10 PRO or is the lesser version (I assume one could call it Home version) OK?
Some purists or PLC pros out there might be tempted to say "Get Pro" but I am currently running both programs successfully on Windows 8.1 and its not the Pro version, if there even is one. For various reasons I would like to avoid Windows 10 Pro if possible but its not a showstopper.

Rockwell has never officially supported any of the "Home" versions of Windows. While you might get it to work, the minute you have a problem you're on your own.

For the difference in price on a refurb laptop, I recommend very strongly against any "Home" version of Windows.

Some purists or PLC pros out there

There's nothing stuck up about using, or recommending, professional tools for the job that puts food on your table.

Actually, my apologies, I would be OK with Pro, but it looks like all the laptops that come with Pro are more expensive business style laptops and I was hoping to keep it as light in weight as possible not to mention being on a strict budget. And I would be using the same laptop for all things personal and I spend A LOT of time on it. But I have a nagging feeling you are very right.

Windows 10 home lacks many important features that you may find yourself eventually needing or wanting, and isn't officially supported by most PLC software platforms. The cost delta is like $50 on most new PCs, and usually even less on "business class" refurb systems. Look on eBay, usually there are large volumes of corporate lease trade-ins that are available well spec'd for ~$500 USD. They almost always come with 10 Pro now, as Microsoft's refurbishment program works with these re-sellers, who will upgrade a system originally sold with 7 Pro or 8 Pro to 10 Pro for virtually no cost.

Last edited:
How many of you have experiences with refurbished laptops? I have notices this option is often mentioned.

You can upgrade from Home to Pro in your system properties. I don't remember the cost. Also, if you have a Windows 7 Pro key you could use it to upgrade as of < a year ago.

You can upgrade from Home to Pro in your system properties. I don't remember the cost. Also, if you have a Windows 7 Pro key you could use it to upgrade as of < a year ago.

Great info, I do have W7 Pro on another laptop and found the product key for it in System Properties ..this opens up my choices a lot...and by the way the cost to buy the upgrade from Microsoft is apparently 99 bucks.

How many of you have experiences with refurbished laptops? I have notices this option is often mentioned.

I've bought a number of refurbs because I'm cheap and have had good results. Just like buying an used car, you will want to be careful to avoid getting something that hasn't been well cared for. Physical damage including scratches are usually a sign to stay away, and any reputable seller will highlight the condition.

I also wouldn't buy a laptop that has a difficult to replace battery, as this is a wear item that will likely need to be replaced in the near future.

Be sure to hold out for the right one, at the right price. On sites like eBay it can be tempting just to buy the first one you see that meets your needs, but it's often a good idea to watch a few models that you're interested in and see what they sell for. Look for the specifications that would be hard to change such as CPU spec, screen, keyboard, ect as things like memory and hard drives can often be upgraded after the purchase.

I paid $450 for a Lenovo T470, it came with a i7-7600, 256gb SSD, 8GB of ram and the 1080p screen. The same models with 16GB or 1TB SSDs were hard to find, and sold for close to $1000 dollars. I bought the lower spec machine, and immediately upgraded the ram to 32GB and the SSD to 1TB and replaced the battery for about $250.

OK so i decided to order a refurb 15" HP ProBook with W10 Pro and it actually has 5 USB ports and a serial port which will come in kinda handy. 8 GB RAM and a 500 GB HDD.

$500 CAD ($375 USD) plus taxes

Thx for your input.