ALL CAPS for HMI/MMI use

I use all caps on everything. I also write in all capitals. I suspect it is due to my drafting background.

Also, all of our machine tagging is done in capitals - such as pushbuttons/etc. It just seems to come out better on the engraving machine and tiny labels.

To me, it looks better and is less ambiguous with the small/big letter issues IMO. If you use all caps it eliminates 1/2 of the possibilities (I, l, 1, 0, O, o, etc).

I totally agree, however, that lowercase can present more words in a given space (unless you use a mono-space font)

I think the legend plate in caps is standard everywhere.

For instance, a google image search of legend plates shows zero in lower-case (at least in my quick scroll-through)

We use all CAPS too. I like the argument relating to engraved tags. Texts on the HMI are like bullet-points or titles anyway, you often see them all CAPS too.

Either way, I guess it is a matter of preference.

Side note, some of my coworkers have the tendency to write Bar in stead of BAR. That really messes with my OCD.

I had to check because I honestly wasn’t sure what I do.

I use all caps for my tags. I don’t use all caps for my rung comments. I do, however, use all caps for the tag descriptions as well.

I think it has just been followed from one place I worked to the next. It appears to be the same for the last 3 places I’ve worked, at least.

Side note, some of my coworkers have the tendency to write Bar in stead of BAR. That really messes with my OCD.
What infuriates me even more is people who write "Kpa" instead of "kPa". There are two abbreviations in those three letters, and you got them both wrong!

Plc, Hmi, Cad, Scada, Cat5, ...

It doesn't end - but does begin in grade school with teachers that teach one way, do something else and another teacher says a third way.

Does anyone advocate alternating caps, to keep the fun alive?
AlArM oN MaChInE 1
//I hOpE yOu DoN't HaVe To TrOuBlEsHoOt ThIs BiT oF cOdE

If so I'll create a driver where if you doubletap Caps lock, you get alternating caps mode.