New Rockwell Subscription Bases Pricing

Ok, I'm confused. Does this replace Tech Connect (for end user)?

The whole thing is confusing to me... but if you login you can see the pricing and support is a 'option' for a extra cost but I still dont understand the different packages

Well this really has me worried now.

We have been in the boat of “we will just keep v20 and logix5, logix500 and not upgrade”

Now, IT is upgrading all PCs and laptops to Win10. Win7 is no longer allowed. I assume that also means VMs.

We were going to just bite the bullet and start upgrading PLCs to latest Studio but ****...
This will mean that capital funds will need to be asked for every year.

Even my new fav B&R have begun subscription based licensing. But they are $1700 a year.

Well this really has me worried now.

We have been in the boat of “we will just keep v20 and logix5, logix500 and not upgrade”

Now, IT is upgrading all PCs and laptops to Win10. Win7 is no longer allowed. I assume that also means VMs.

We were going to just bite the bullet and start upgrading PLCs to latest Studio but ****...
This will mean that capital funds will need to be asked for every year.

Even my new fav B&R have begun subscription based licensing. But they are $1700 a year.

I run v20 on my W10 laptop. There's hope for ya!

Man, this kinda thing really screws a small-guy like me over. For those prices I may as well start automating with Raspberry Pi's and Arduinos and just put those thousands in my pocket instead.

I run v20 on my W10 laptop. There's hope for ya!

Yes, as long as hardware stays compatible we would theoretically be ok. I’m not so worried about logix5000 but rather logix5 & 500. We have many Micrologix, two SLCs, and two PLC5s. Everything else is either a Control or Compactlogix.
Rockwell and compatibility don’t go well together.

Easy fixed, just start heading over to the Russian PLC sites to get the job done. What is the small guy supposed to do?

There shouldnt be any critical reason why you would have to update RSLogix 5 or RSLogix 500 in the future.
If compatibility with the latest windows versions is a concern, then run the older software in a VM.

I use a lot of 1400's and I remember a that they made you upgrade RSLogix 500 to use the 1400's in the past, if they 'lock us out' we will have no choice

sparkie said:
Man, this kinda thing really screws a small-guy like me over.

I use 500 everyday so I dont have much problem paying for it but Studio and Factorytalk I use maybe 3 times a year, there is no way I can justify paying thousands for software I use 3 times a year, the only thing I can do is if a customer has newer software they will be on their own or they will need to let me use their laptop

HJTRBO said:
Easy fixed, just start heading over to the Russian PLC sites to get the job done. What is the small guy supposed to do?

I would hate to do that, I believe you should pay for it if you use it... but man they are killing me

I still think they should give the software away and just add another 50-100 bucks onto the hardware price, if you buy 50 CPU's then you pay more... if you buy 5 CPU's you pay less

I still think they should give the software away and just add another 50-100 bucks onto the hardware price, if you buy 50 CPU's then you pay more... if you buy 5 CPU's you pay less

Local distributors could do that, but I'm not sure if they are allowed with AB?
With other manufacturers, I've had plenty of dist give out software because they are getting the hardware business - they are probably (or could easily) hiding the cost of the software in the hardware spread out over time.

Anyone know if and when Techconnect is going away and be replaced by this?

I just did some quick calculation it comes out to well over 6 figures/year for us.