Downloading a Panelview program.

Leukic

I have a SLC 5/03 and I connect vie 1747 UIC cable via ethernet plug in.
The panelview 600 PN is - 2711-T6C16L1 It is only TOUCH screen. I had an Error 31 earlier this morning and cleaned out the pv but some buttons are not working so I am needing to upload the program to my pc for when the new part arrives.
It uses a RS232 DHF1 connection to via serial cable to plug in the SLC.

Now when I am logged into Panel Builder 32 I can see the PV but I can never connect there is always a red X over it.
Also when I look in RSlinx I can see the pv also when I check to make sure my connection via the cable is working.

Recently I was able to download another PV program on a different machine but it was using DH+ connection at 57k baud.
Here a few pics of the SLC and PV..

Last edited:
That panelview is a DF1-RS232 type, so you can't use the 1747-UIC cable with it. The UIC cable is designed for DH485 protocol. You need a 2711-NC13 or equivalent cable to use RSLinx/PB32 for upload and download purposes.

That panelview is a DF1-RS232 type, so you can't use the 1747-UIC cable with it. The UIC cable is designed for DH485 protocol. You need a 2711-NC13 or equivalent cable to use RSLinx/PB32 for upload and download purposes.

The cable also has a switch to use RS232(485) and a separate serial connection that is uses to connect to the PLC. By hooking directly to the PV and still could not download the file. Thanks for the info ill look into the cable and see if I have one at work.

It is still DH485 protocol even when using the RS-232 connector on the cable and RS-232 electrical spec. So it still won't work for your situation. It is a bit confusing that RS-485 and RS-232 are electrical specifications and DH485 and DF1 are protocols. The protocol and the electrical spec are two different aspects of the same puzzle and they both need to match your hardware, but there are devices that can use DH485 protocol on RS-232 wiring and you can even use DF1 protocol on RS-485 wiring. They could have saved us all from some confusion if they had named the protocols something more distinguishable from the wiring specs they ride on.

It is still DH485 protocol even when using the RS-232 connector on the cable and RS-232 electrical spec. So it still won't work for your situation. It is a bit confusing that RS-485 and RS-232 are electrical specifications and DH485 and DF1 are protocols. The protocol and the electrical spec are two different aspects of the same puzzle and they both need to match your hardware, but there are devices that can use DH485 protocol on RS-232 wiring and you can even use DF1 protocol on RS-485 wiring. They could have saved us all from some confusion if they had named the protocols something more distinguishable from the wiring specs they ride on.

I agree thus why I posted here because I wasn't really understanding why it would not connect. But I am sure I have a serial cable like that at work that I will connect in the morning and upload the program from the pb32. THanks for the input.

Why not used the one that is connected to the PLC's serial port?

I honestly didn't think about that. Considering how short the reach is of that cable. Thats a GOOd call Mickey. It will just be a few minutes of a pain in the *** holding the laptop up that close to the while trying to use it haha.

Tried connecting via the serial cable that goes from the plc to the PV. The error I get

If you are using direct connection to the panel view via DF1, ensure that it DOES NOT have the printer port enabled.

The problem is the touch screen which doesn't completely work for every button. I can not get to the printer config screen. I will have to keep working and see if I can get that side of the touch screen to work.
Thanks for the input guys

Alright guys I figured it out. I used the same serial cable as mickey suggested but the issue I had in my previous post was my own fault. I did NOT swap the cable to the RS232 port on the PV when I had it plugged into my computer.
Once I swapped it I was able to reconfigure the driver for DF1 485 Com port1 station 2 and it connected and I was able to upload the PV program to my laptop.
So that being said when the new PV arrives tomorrow i should be able to plug the lap top in and download the program to the new one.
Thanks mickey and okiepc for your help!!