Home Automation - Dim Lights with PLC

juanmdx

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how can I dim the lights with a PLC (maybe external relays, but which ones?), I'm doing some home automation and this is the last thing I need to control.

I really don't care much about which PLC brand I'm going to use, I'm pretty familiar with Siemens, AB and Beckhoff, so I'll just go with the cheapest one I can get here.

Right now I'm quoting the project, but I've had a difficult time figuring out how to dim the lights.

Hope someone can help me.

BR

Juan

Beckhoff may be the answer because they have this: http://www.beckhoff.com/images/bus_terminal/KL2761__web.jpg

With respect to link
I did not get any inkling of how that will control lighting - there was no spec's or description.

relays are basically nothing but a switch - the controlled load is either on or off.

A bit more information about what kind and location of lighting you want to control would sure help.

you may want to go see a lighting distributor and see what they have for this idea or for other options.

What kinds of control are you trying to do with PLC that you cannot do with "standard" lighting control?

Intensity with respect to outside ambient light, occupancy, or,,

Dan Bentler

With respect to link
I did not get any inkling of how that will control lighting - there was no spec's or description.
My bad, Dan: I gave link to a picture, not the page. Here is the correct link: http://www.beckhoff.com/english.asp?bus_terminal/kl2751.htm

KL2761 has higher output power rating but apparently exists only in 220VAC version; KL2751 supports 120 VAC as well. There are links to documentation files on the sidebar.

My guess is this is an SCR bridge with variable phase control.

If you are trying to control intensity of the light based on ambient light.
Then use LDR for input to sense the ambient/reference light and scale the block in the PLC and trigger an analog output and connect this output to a input of SSR and load side to the lamp.

My bad, Dan: I gave link to a picture, not the page. Here is the correct link: http://www.beckhoff.com/english.asp?bus_terminal/kl2751.htm

KL2761 has higher output power rating but apparently exists only in 220VAC version; KL2751 supports 120 VAC as well. There are links to documentation files on the sidebar.

My guess is this is an SCR bridge with variable phase control.

Looks like a neat setup - maybe a little too professional or industrial for home use?

Phase control is a new term to me in controlling lighting. I think like you say SCR voltage control using PWM.

Dimming fluorescants was quite expensive about five years ago not sure if price has dropped that much. Think made by Lithonia or maybe Lutron??

Experience Music Project in Seattle - 1998? - had all kinds of fancy lighting and controls. All variable light units were incandescant type. As best I recall fluorescant was not dimmable.

Dan Bentler

I'm thinking it will be prohibitively expensive to do what you want with a PLC. If you insist on PLC control of lighting, I would go with one of the many available lighting controllers that allow RS232 control and have the PLC serially manipulate the lighting controller.

Lutron, UPB, Z-Wave all have controllers w/ dimmers that are RS232 controllable.

This is somewhat like using a PLC to drain your swimming pool. Yea, it can be done. Does it make real good sense? Not in my opinion. Too much custom-made hardware out there makes lighting control simple.

Now, using the PLC to control curtains, theater screen, yard irrigation, hey, I'm all with ya.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Bill

I just got the image in my head of a servo motor controlling a dimmer switch and it made me laugh....just thought I'd share...:p

Well I know I can gradually dim the lights like from 25% to 65%, but I was looking for an FB that could do that, to avoid the fors or whiles I might use.