Non-AB EDS File for RS NetWorx for DeviceNet

Jimmie_Ohio

I'm tired of posting my own lame responses to other people's problems, so today I will post a problem of my own and draw off the experience of others...Thanks in advance to any and all that help!

I am working on a DeviceNet project (first ever from scratch). I have set up my network and am trying to attach to each component using the latest RS NetWorx for DeviceNet. I am using a 1770-KFD attached to my computer's serial port.

I have no problem whatsoever "talking" to each of my PointBlock I/O modules (catalog # 1734D-IB8XOB8E).

I also have some speed switches in this project from Electro-Sensors (SpeedTalker DN-XP). The vendor was kind enough to let me borrow one to play with since the ones we purchased went directly to the jobsite. The switch came with a CD containing the latest EDS file which uploaded fine. I can obtain information from the switch and configure parameters while online with it.

The only other components are from Cutler-Hammer. One device is a DN65 I/O module and the other is the DeviceNet communication module for the SVX9000 variable frequency drive.

Here's my problem, I downloaded the EDS's from Cutler-Hammer's website. Although they "look" like EDS's (the website shows them with the .eds file extension) the file gets saved as a text file.

How in the world do I convert the text file to .eds file extension so RS NetWorx "finds" it in the EDS Wizard? The RS NetWorx software "help" is extensive, as long as the DeviceNet component is from A-B.

It might be as simple as changing the file extension from .TXT to .EDS.

A hint about the RSNetworx EDS file wizard; never place an EDS file directly into the Rockwell Software/RSCommon/EDS directory. Let RSNetworx put it there with the proper name (which is based on the Identity Object) and do it's Windows Registry thing.

EDS files are just text files. You can open any EDS file using any text editor. Just change the extension to .eds and you should be good to go.

Keith

Stating the obvious?

I may be oversimplifying things, but can you change the extension on the downloaded files from ".txt" back to ".eds"?

Rick

Edit: Looks like I was beat to the punch...twice!

Thanks Ken, Keith and Rick for the fast responses. All it took was changing the file extension to .EDS

I did read all I could in A-B's knowledgebase about this, but it always assumes you have an EDS to start with before you can edit the text file or upload a new one to replace the old.

I even tried adding the node in RS NetWorx and everything is happy. Thanks again.