s7 comments

carl1

Morning All,

the question is I have a s7 315 plc I have two lot sof source code

almost identicall....one with comments and one without.

The one without is the most up to date. How do I import the out of date code comments into the up to the most up to date code?

I've had a squizz around the package but nothing jumps out at me

How are you comparing the two different sets of source code ? (Note that in S7 terminology, source code is text and has to be compiled to generate a block)

carl1 said:
The one without is the most up to date. How do I import the out of date code comments into the up to the most up to date code?

Sometimes is better make changes in old version, but with comments.
And make them identical with up to date project.

Thanks for that I see a some interest in my slang ..... although its more than likely not slang anymore. I copied the symbol file over .... and what do you know I got the file names. copy and past sounds like a real ache. Is there not some file or feature that will export the names and comments
The SLC allen bradley has this feature has siemens got this, surely its a basic feature??

You're causing some confusion with your terminaology.

1. Source code, as Simon referred to, is an uncompiled copy of the code. Are you really talking of source code, or are you talking about 2 copies of the project.

2. Comments are the text associated with segments, your now talking about symbols and descriptors.

You can export and import symbols from within the symbols file, it makes a CSV file.

If the comments and symbols are within updated FB or FC parameters, you would have to transfer those FB/FC's.

If FB's, you would then need to re-create the instance DB's.

If its segment somments, then you would have to write in yourself or copy the individual blocks.

sorry for the confusion....

The source code that I'm refering to is the ladder logic, STL, that resides in ob1 etc etc. This resides in two seperate projects, one with comments and one without. It's the memory alias names,symbol names, block titles, block comments, network comments. The cvs files ...can they be imported back into another project that does not have all these comments and file discriptors.

If you go to Options> Manage Multiligual Texts, you can export all of the comments you are referring to. The intent was to create symbols and comments in multiple languages, but you could also use it to modify comments across several projects. It wouldn't be hard to come up with a script that merged the resultant CSV files.

Aaah that sounds more like it I done this but I never realised that a change in this file could be reflected back in the project...is that correct? if I do a change in one of the csv files do I see it refelcted in the project as well?

carl1 said:
sorry for the confusion....

The source code that I'm refering to is the ladder logic, STL, that resides in ob1 etc etc.

Then if your going to be working more with Step 7 then I would drop the source code description as it will confuse :)

carl1 said:
This resides in two seperate projects, one with comments and one without. It's the memory alias names,symbol names, block titles, block comments, network comments. The cvs files ...can they be imported back into another project that does not have all these comments and file discriptors.

I would also drop the alias, as siemens don't do alias :ROFLMAO:

Yes, there is an import function to go along with the export. You can do anything you want with the offline files and import them back in.

That said, remember that this is Siemens. They will give you more possibilities to do something than a normal human being would ever need, but it won't be intuitive. Have fun :)

s7
Yes intuition is lacking thanks for your help appreciate it, mabye I can return the favour one day.