RPI Accelerometer

Gadelric

Wizards,

I have an issue related to vibrations.
I had some equipment fail and prior to it failing it started to vibrate real bad, within a week or so the equipment was unusable.
When it was sent off for inspection, the inspection department tells me the equipment I sent them does not shake at all and the vibration is from my equipment.
Rather than trying to pull teeth via emails, I was looking at some options.
An inexpensive option would be for me to pick up a board from amazon and use one of my RPI.
guide I found:

https://www.raspberrypistarterkits.com/guide/raspberry-pi-accelerometer-gyroscope/

Has anyone tried one of these builds?
If so, was it reliable enough to gather useful data?
I'm not looking for precise values, just something I can mount to the line and validate my equipment only has vibration that are caused by their equipment.

Gad

One of our people tried using a cheap single board computer for reading analog data for simulating a hydraulic cylinder. It was too slow and noisy

There are devices called vibrometers that will measure vibrations.

Sometimes there can be multiple sources of vibration. Recording the data and using an FFT will separate out the frequencies.

If you are good you can listen to about anything and pick out things like gear ratios etc.

Do you know what frequency range you need?

A bit OT but get hold of an old timer engineer with good hearing & a screwdriver, seen this done many years ago, this guy could put the tip of the screw driver on a piece of equipment and hold his ear to the handle & diagnose where the noise was coming from.

A raspberry pi is really not the way to go ahead with something like this (the OS and speed being the big problems) and neither would an Arduino do.

Potentially some of the newer PIC (it's PIC not a typo) microcontrollers that are approaching DSP performance or even the STM32F4 range. However, to interface those with a sensor you can realibly mount in the field, you'd have to create the analog interface electronics that would likely cost you more than getting a ready made solution to solve the problem.

On my site we use sensonics for vibration monitoring. They have different types, but we installed this model last:

https://www.sensonics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/AB14-760R1.pdf

A raspberry pi is really not the way to go ahead with something like this (the OS and speed being the big problems) and neither would an Arduino do.

Potentially some of the newer PIC (it's PIC not a typo) microcontrollers that are approaching DSP performance or even the STM32F4 range. However, to interface those with a sensor you can realibly mount in the field, you'd have to create the analog interface electronics that would likely cost you more than getting a ready made solution to solve the problem.

On my site we use sensonics for vibration monitoring. They have different types, but we installed this model last:

https://www.sensonics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/AB14-760R1.pdf

Although these items would probably do exactly what I need them to do, the cost will most likely be too much 95.
The maint department has been trying to get approval for something they can use for PMs, I may just be able to push their request for a portable tester now that I have additional uses for it.

Any recommendations on something portable that will detect less than 2g?

That looks interesting. So one could do some basic vibration analysis just with ones own smartphone. I am going to try it out.

edit: Wow, there are a bajillion of vibration meter apps. Which one is the best ?

JesperMP, I think those apps are made more for massages at home than vibration analysis in industry, hahaha