1756-L72 firmware upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi sifis,

the firmware version is the version that the code was created in.

Step 1: create your code in the version you want. i.e. when you start a new project in RSLogix 5000 / Studio 5000 it asked what version you want to use. if you are using existing code then just edit the controller properties.

Step 2: set the PLC to program mode via the selector switch on the front of the unit.

Step 3: then download the code.

This works for upgrading and downgrading the firmware.

or you can use the ControlFlash program.

Cheers
Guy

Last edited:
How do you upgrade the firmware of the 1756-L72?
a) The module has to be installed in a rack with a power supply.
b) Stablish a physical connection between the controller and your computer. For example, if there's an ethernet module on the same rack, you can go via ethernet.
c) Stablish communication via RSLinx (verify you can locate the controller under the declared driver).
d) Use ControlFlash to upgrade the controller. If you don't have the desired firmware version, you'll need to downloaded from Rockwell webpage.
e) Remember: you need the correct version of Studio/RSLogix 5000 to upload/download applications to the controller. For example: if you upgrade a controller from v20 to v24, you'll need Studio v24.

Read the ControlFLASH Firmware Upgrade Kit User Manual.

EDIT:

If you upgrade a module to a firmware version supporting digital signature, you won't be able to donwgrade it anymore:

TN491365 Firmware Digital Signatures (Access Level: Everyone)

Last edited:
Depends what you have... if you have a ENBT on the same rack you can flash with it or you can use the USB port on the PLC

Software you need ControlFlash or RSLogix 5000 and RSLinx

What software/cables do I need to install/upgrade the firmware of the 1756-L72?

Studio 5000 at the intended firmware upgrade revision level, the respective firmware package, RSLinx Classic and the ControlFlash utility(e.g.: if you want to upgrade the L72 to Rev.24 you need Studio 5000 Logix Designer Rev.24 and the L72 Rev.24 Firmware package- the firmware package is usually installed with the software revision)

As for connectivity, I'd suggest to use the L72 USB port and a USB-A type cable; if the existing system has implemented EtherNet/IP connectivity you could use Ethernet for firmware upgrades, however, since it is your first attempt, stick to USB.

WARNING:
Failure to maintain connectivity during the firmware upgrade could transform your CPU into a very expensive brick...:cry:

I have,
1.1756-L72 processor
2.RSLinx Classic 3.71
3.Controllogix chassis w/power supply.
4.USB Ethernet cable for Controllogix.
I do not want to buy any AB software, unless it is absolutely necessary.
Thank you.

I have,
1.1756-L72 processor
2.RSLinx Classic 3.71
Thank you.
Keep in mind that firmware upgrade will erase any application and data existing in the controller.

sifis said:
How do you upgrade the firmware of the 1756-L72?...

...What software/cables do I need to install/upgrade the firmware of the 1756-L72?...

...I have,
1.1756-L72 processor
2.RSLinx Classic 3.71
Thank you...

geniusintraining said:
...you have never flashed a CPU or ENBT ?

...No, no need.

The question I would most like answered, having read the above, is why now do you have a need to flash this controller's firmware? What is the intended goal here? If you have no previous experience then I would tread carefully. You sound nonchalant as if this is a trivial thing to do?

If you currently do not have any Rockwell Automation software, then I am struggling to see why you are even near a ControlLogix L72 processor? I am not saying that you do not have a valid reason to be; just that I cannot see one at the moment. What do you hope to achieve by flashing the firmware, to whatever revision it is you think you require, of which you have not stated yet, when you can do no more after performing said flash upgrade. If you do not have the required programming software to download either a new project, or an upgraded existing project, after the flash, then what do you hope to do with the processor after the flash?

One reason I have thought of - If the hardware is all new for a new install then perhaps you are just looking to "prep" the processor for someone else without getting into anything project related? If so, I would say why bother? There is not much of an advantage to it. Just let them do it when they are at the processor. But that is pure guesswork on my behalf.

If this is a running system then any advice been given related to wiping the processor's memory during a flash upgrade should be heeded with the utmost of respect.

You "sound", thus far, like you just want to upgrade the firmware in the processor, and walk away? Do you expect something that is currently working to continue to work after you have performed this upgrade?

Give us a reason, and a good one at that, why you want to perform this upgrade, and then maybe we can start to advise you properly as to your next steps.

Or completely ignore me, your choice!

Regards,
George

Status
Not open for further replies.