Difference betweeen SAT, FAT, UAT, USR?

flyers

Hi guys,

When doing projects, I always come across these terms:

SAT = site acceptance test
FAT = Factory acceptance test
UAT = User acceptance test
USR = User system requirement

What's the difference between them? I see different vendor using diff terms....

Different groups generally use different terms.
We use them in the following ways:
USR, we don't use that term, however we use operational philosophies and Functional Specifications
FAT, for us, this is the test to show that we are happy to allow the equipment on site. Until this test is passsed, we do not allow the vendor to ship.
SAT, Site acceptance test, this is the test we use to show that the equipment does what we specified it to do. Until this test is completed successfully, we do not accept the equipment and the job is not completed. On successful completion, we "accept" the equipment and will sign the handover cirtificate.
UAT, we do not use that term, however for us the SAT does the same purpose.
Each of these tests also have a dollar value that we pay on successful completion. This is generally common practice.
Other terms you may come accress is "Punch List" (or "Snag List") which refers to a list of items that require fixing before a final payment is made. Generally, these items do not stop the equipment being usable, but do have to be fixed to bring it fully up to specifications.

In the order you should encounter these things on a project -

USR (URS) - User System Requirements (User Requirements Specification). I assume these are the same thing - I've come across the latter expression much more often. This should be a document explaining exactly what the user (customer) wants from the system. Not how it's going work, but what it's going to do. "I want a machine to make coffee, and it must have the option for white, black, espresso and chicken soup. Oh, and sugar. Oh and it must have two different sizes of cups. And a biscuit dispenser." etc etc. This should be signed off between supplier and customer at the outset so there is an agreed set of deliverables that can be measured at the end. (Things like two different sizes of cups is not a good example. These should be specified in fluid ounces, millilitres whatever. This is a specification document, not just a description.)

FDS - Functional Design Specification. Here the supplier is converting the needs (the 'what') in to the methods (the 'how'). This document defines for him how he intends to fulfil the URS. At the same time, and following on from the URS, some form of test specification should be beginning to emerge. How can we tell if it's working OK? What will be the agreed measures?

FAT - Factory Acceptance Test. Once the machine/system/software has been assembled at the supplier's factory there should be a formal test with checkpoints and performance measures to prove that it is capable of meeting the URS. NB This does not mean it has to meet the URS there and then. That may be impossible until it's finally plumbed in on site. Very often customers will ask to be present at the FAT to witness this before giving permission for the system to be shipped to their site. Some projects will have stage payments on successful completion of a witnessed FAT.

UAT - User Acceptance Test. Carried out at user's premises with equipment installed and ready to run. Must prove that it can do everything agreed in the URS. As Doug said, this is the point where the user satisfies himself that the system is substantially as requested and accepts delivery of the equipment. From that point he gets invoiced for the system. Further work may continue by the supplier, but this should be agreed and defined in change notices or deviations to original spec, and I would expect most of this will represent an additional charge.

Regards

Ken

Hi guys,

I'm back to the thread I created 2 years ago.

Referring to the FAT (factory) & SAT (site), currently we are working on a project which is fabricating a few panels (total 1600Amp) for controlling a long conveyor line (printing) using a few motors. This panels do not have PLC, they are all hardwire, one of client spec (I do not know why). They have 2 control desk with push buttons to control the operation/speed of the motors.

I've done FAT & SAT for panels which has PLC, but for panels without PLC (all hardiwire), is the FAT & SAT done in different format?

FAT:
Like PLC panels, we'll check all the PBs, selectors switch, jumper the input terminal block (simulate sensors/switches) & force ON output to verify the correct indicators, measure the output terminal for voltage, etc....Test some of the interlockings

SAT:
Random do point test, test interlocking at site.

For hardwire panels, FAT, do we need to check the each and every relays, contactors, breakers, Push buttons, selectors switches?

Thanks,

For hardwire panels, FAT, do we need to check the each and every relays, contactors, breakers, Push buttons, selectors switches?
If it was me, I had much rather check out all these things at my site and at my leisure, than to troubleshoot a start-up problem at the customer's site with someone standing behind me saying "Why did this happen? Is your company stupid? Why haven't you got it fixed yet?"

Factory acceptance testing benefits both parties.