Keep FTVIEW alarms active after Alarm state has passed

Aggregateman

Hi everyone! I have Panelview plus that is attached to a compactlogix controller, and I would like to use the built in alarms feature in view studio to place a pop up message on the HMI when someone hits any of the 6 different stop buttons along our feed line, I have it set up and it works, but the moment the stop button is released the alarm disappears, I want the alarm message to stay active until someone sees it. Is there a simple way to do this? Or do I need to make my own alarm system latching and unlatching tags.

It is set up to monitor a set of tags, IE, someone presses stop_1, it turns on a tag stop_alm_1 and stop_alm_1 is what the FTVIEW alarms manager is monitoring.

I can provide any more information needed, just ask.
Thanks! I appreciate the help!

Hi everyone! I have Panelview plus that is attached to a compactlogix controller, and I would like to use the built in alarms feature in view studio to place a pop up message on the HMI when someone hits any of the 6 different stop buttons along our feed line, I have it set up and it works, but the moment the stop button is released the alarm disappears, I want the alarm message to stay active until someone sees it. Is there a simple way to do this? Or do I need to make my own alarm system latching and unlatching tags.

It is set up to monitor a set of tags, IE, someone presses stop_1, it turns on a tag stop_alm_1 and stop_alm_1 is what the FTVIEW alarms manager is monitoring.

I can provide any more information needed, just ask.
Thanks! I appreciate the help!

I noticed that no one else had replied, so I thought that I would give my ideas.

Firstly, an e-stop alarm should set an alarm latch in the PLC.

Secondly, releasing the e-stop button should not affect this alarm latch (ie the alarm should stay latched when the button is released)

Thirdly, a reset signal from somewhere(?), like a pushbutton or a button on the HMI should be used to un-latch the alarm before running the equipment again.

So, the alarm message could be displayed until it is properly reset.

You Could Consider Creating An Alarm History Page. Aka. Alarm List. This Would Allow You To Save And View All Alarms That Happen. If You Look Under Alarm Setup, Trigger Tab, You Will See Optional Trigger Connections. One Of Those Connections Is Remote Ack. You Can Assign A Tag That Allows The PLC To Trigger The Acknowledge Time Shown In The Alarm List. That Way You Have A Timestamp Of Each Event. Alarm Active And Alarm Clear. I Like To Activate The Clear Signal For 1 Second To Allow The Hmi To See It. So I Created A Subroutine Called Alarm Clear. The Logic Is Basic.
If Alarm Not Active Then One Shot And Latch An Alarm Clear Bit. Use The Alarm Clear Bit To Run A Timer For 1 Second. When The Alarm Clear Timer Is Done Unlatch The Alarm Clear Bit.

There Is Also The Alarm Status List. This Will Give You Information On How Many Times An Alarm Happened And The Accumulated Time For All Events. You Will Find These Alarms Screens Under Objects>Advanced>Alarm

There Are Also Examples In The Library Folder Of Alarm Displays That You Can Copy Paste. [History] , [Status] They Have All The Buttons Already On Them. I Personally Don't Use All Those Buttons But You Could Still Copy Those Displays And Delete The Buttons You Don't Need.

Is the alarm pop up disappearing, the message disappearing, or both once the stop button is released?

If the banner is disappearing you'll have to latch the visibility bit in the plc for it.

If the message is disappearing you can alter the alarm list settings - go to "Display"
The "Active and unacknowledged" will only display the active bits in the PLC.
Using the other 3 conditions will help you achieve your goal, but you'll have to use additional alarm buttons to clear, silence, acknowledge, etc. All depends on how you want everything to work so it will take a little experimenting.

If you have to latch the visibility bit, it might just be easier to latch all of your stop alarm conditions as well. This forces the operator to press a reset button

Using bit logic in the PLC is a good idea, as the other three posts have already said.
Once the alarm (stop button) is cleared, you have no record of that ever occurring in the PLC. Imagine if the button was pressed and cleared very quickly, the HMI might not see that change.

If you are using the alarm banner object (FTView ME has 3 alarm objects) then enable the "Display Inactive Alarms" option

Otherwise, the banner will be empty if no alarms are active.

DisplayInactiveAlarms.png

The [ALARM] Banner That Pops up if used also has a Remote Close Tag located under the Advanced Tab in Alarm Setup. If you create logic to determine no faults exist then this connection will automatically close the pop up screen. This way you will not be looking at blank screen. Just to clarify you must check the display box in the Message tab to display alarm messages on the pop up banner and You must also check the box for Alarms in the Startup options.

Remote Close Alarm.jpg