RSLogix 5000 activation

turbohamad

Hello friends;
Good day. I have windows 10 64 bit OS and install a Oracle virtual box with windows xp SP3 X86. I installed RSLogix 5000 and RSlink on virtual box.

I want to activate the software, But i want to ask what is the best and safe method to activate them. One of my friend told me activate directly on the virtual box, Other one told me just install the same FT Manager on windows 10 and activate the software there then add server path of the activation by giving computer name.

Please help me if i activate directly on the Virtual Box is it safe by giving the HARD DISK serial?

If another option safe please share with me.
Regards

To be honest, I never let any Rockwell Software touch my base system.

I'd get the HASP key if I were you, and activate in the VM to the HASP key. In my facility, I have all of our activations on a dedicated box PC hidden in a server cabinet, and that is its only function.

I use the dongle it works good on any system
Set up the VM Machine to access the USB ports
I put all my activations on the dongle move it wherever I need it.

I run multiple VMs to accommodate different versions of FTView. I load whatever version(s) of RSLogic and other software as needed to each VM. I install FTActivation Manager on the VMs as well and point to my Windows 10 base machine as the activation server.
I would advise linking the activation to your network card rather than your hard disk as you may have a hard disk failure but with a good backup image you can be up and running quickly. I personally have not had a network card fail.
This setup works well for me and has for a number of years on multiple computers.

Hello friends;

My question is still there? If i activate the rslogix 5000 on VM is it safe by using the Hard Disk as device?

I check the physical address of network card by using IPCONFIG/all command
in VM (windows xp) is different address as compare to windows 10.

if i just install the FT manager on windows 10 and activate by add server on manage activation tab is it correct?

Regards

Hello experts;
I am stuck at one point. I re host the activation. I activate again on windows 10 PC. I install Oracle virtual box on windows 10 with windows xp.
I activate the software on windows 10 and then start VM and FT manager.
Find available activation all the process looks good.

When i press the ADD SERVER and enter the info 27000@computer name its not working i read the rockwell note share activation on VM.

is it configuration problem please help me

Regards

If I recall correct, you can have a shared drive between vms and host (XP gets a little funny) and then have the license in a file on the shared drive. Point the activation manager to where the license are.

I have painfully been working on this very same issue. My wife is really good on networking and finally decided using a shared drive wasn't working because guest wasn't on the domain. Activations on the Host. Putting them in a shared Folder didn't work. She told me to use DHCP for a test. When I got to work, and tried it, that worked for guest to see activations. But, that doesn't help when I have to hook up to the PLC's. Yesterday, IT told me to Put an IP address that he gave me into Preferred DNS Server. I can now see RSLinx is happy. Maybe this will help someone else.

George

The most stable solution IMO is to setup an additional virtual network between your PC and all your VMs. This will add a virtual network card to your host and your guests. Set the host's virtual network card to a static IP. All you have to do in your guests is type that address in FactoryTalk Activation, and it will continue to work, even if you change your bridged physical network adapters addresses.