replace OP25 by new hmi keeping S5 plc

Kataeb

We have a CPU S5 115 with an OP 25 .
Can we replace the OP25 by a new hmi touch panel? which type?

Communication is done using V24/TTY-interface IF1A PLC-interface.
Can we add a converter from TTY to Profibus (or to Profinet)? for the new hmi connection to the CPU S5 115 plc.

Communication is done using V24/TTY-interface IF1A PLC-interface.
Can we add a converter from TTY to Profibus (or to Profinet)? for the new hmi connection to the CPU S5 115 plc.
Yep, there is this clever device:
https://www.ibhsoftec.com/epages/63444704.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63444704/Products/20284

So you can go online with ANY device that speaks S7 via ethernet.
Mind you, that on the other side of the adapter it is still a paltry 9600 bps. So dont setup too many tags and/or too high update frequency.

Sigmadelta, also x277 devices can connect to AS511 via an RS422/TTY adapter. But that also means you have to find an old OP277 or MP277 on ebay. Buying a new from Siemens is prohibitively expensive.

Kataeb, if you have a Protool project, and you decide to use the IBH adapter, you can migrate it to a recent Siemens panel like this:

(it does take a bit of effort !!)
With Protool, migrate OP25 to OP270.
With WinCC Flexible 2008 SP2 (not SP3 or later) migrate the OP270 to OP277.
With WinCC Flexible 2008 convert the online connection from S5 to S7.
All the tags will have to be checked. Just leave them as "dummy" tags for now.
With TIA V14 or earlier (not V15 or later) and with WinCC Flexible 2008 SP3 or SP5, migrate the OP277 to a comfort panel.
Follow IBHs instructions on how to setup all the tags so that they get interpreted as S5 tags with proper address in the S5 PLC.
And then you should be good to go. All tags, screens, alarms etc must be checked up

Kp700.

I suggest: Do all the migration work, and the test with a simulated KP700 that everything works as intended.
I dont have experience with the IBH device myself.

Last edited:
Could you not persuade the customer to upgrade the S5 at the same time.

It's long since not been supported by Siemens and new spares are not available.

Converting an OP (only with keypad) to a TP (without keypad) requires changing all the keypad buttons to touchscreen buttons. I would recommend a 10" screen, because every keypad button replacement will take space on the touchscreen.

Will this solution work also ?
Interface converter , RS232-TTY for converting RS-232 to TTY ,
Operator Panel 6AV6445-0BC15-2AX0 TP 170B Color 6 Inches .
Yes, if you are lucky enough to have a spare TP170B lying around, you can migrate it without too much fuzz. And it is programmable in Protool as well as WinCC Flexible. As far as I remember, the resolution of the OP25 and TP170B are the same, so all graphics will convert 1-to-1 without issues of stretching or being misplaced.
Staying in Protool is the easiest.
On the other hand migrating to WinCC Flexible will make it easier to migrate again in the future.

As Sigmadelta points out, you will have to find a way to activate the functions assigned to the keypad buttons on the old OP25 panel.
edit: Same for the eventual OP25 keypad LEDs which may have been programmed to indicate status of some functions.

Last edited: