Siemens connection help

the_msp

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello, I am trying to connect to the following PLC s7-300. The PLC is in a box that takes 1/2 hour to remove from the line and ideally I need to connect when it is in situ, connected to its sensors.

There is a ProfiBus looking cable connected to the port labelled MPI, this goes to an HMI and a service port which has 3 leads soldered.

Using the attached MPI lead will I be able to connect via the service port?

Can I upload the program albeit with no comments?

TIA

IMG_3842.JPG IMG_3843.JPG IMG_3844.JPG

Yes, you should be able to.

You'll have to configure the USB adapter (that's what that device will be called when you install it) and connect to either the MPI port or the Other port which seems to be a Profibus connection.

OK, thanks, and I can connect the end of the USB adapter lead into the service port ok? I can't directly plug it into X1 on the CPU, no access when machine is connected...

Find the other end of the cables... you may have one that will have a open port and you can just plug into it there, then you do not have to remove any you can just jump onto the network

You can also watch this video, its for our aftermarket but should be close enough for you to be able to do the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skAH715dPxM

The other end of the cable may look like this and you can just plug into it

profi.jpg

Last edited:
I know the other (MPI) end. Service port -> X1 -> HMI

The DP goes to the main (S7-400) CPU, I don't think I have an adapter to get onto it.

Thanks for video link :)

I know the other (MPI) end. Service port -> X1 -> HMI

The DP goes to the main (S7-400) CPU, I don't think I have an adapter to get onto it.

Check to see if the 400 has a connection of the one similar to the pic I posted, most of the time you can just plug in and you dont need to unplug anything... also the HMI may have a double ended plug