SIMATIC S7-1500 SW Controller in a VM

Drumpat

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to install the SIMATIC S7-1500 SW Controller inside a virtual machine on our VmWare ESXi server. This piece of software gets normally installed on an Industrial PC (IPC) of Siemens.

Does any of you have experience with this?
Current situation:
* I have deployed a Windows 7 Professional x64 machine (HW Version 9)
* Added a special ROM file to the *.vmx: "bios440.filename = FUJITSU211_314.ROM
* Added an extra NIC
* Use 2 cores (1 for Windows, 1 for SoftPLC)
* Enable setting: "Expose hardware assisted virtualization to the guest OS"
* Increase the size of disk0 and create a D: Partition (at least 450 MB free space)
* Installed the SIMATIC S7-1500 SW Controller
* Installs succesfully get SoftPLC and am able to start and stop it

Problems:
When I try to download my hardware configuration from TIA Portal. Based on this article. I get an error incompatible device.

When I searched this on the Siemens website. I found out that I have to install DiagBase. The only problem is that the installation fails based on this error:
Code:
12:42:32|...       |IniFile::LoadFile()                     |   Ini file found - Name: RESULT_4DD5BE3AF07E438781C4B540EC34508B.log; Path: C:\ProgramData\Siemens\Automation\Logfiles\Setup\RESULT_4DD5BE3AF07E438781C4B540EC34508B.log
12:42:32|...       |sWorkerSetupPackage::AnalyseResultFile()|   Attempt to get current version of the ProductCode '{C9E3F8B0-2465-49C8-B4FD-0E275AF83C56}'returned an error. Probably the product is not installed: ERROR_UNKNOWN_PRODUCT
12:42:32|ERROR     |AdsWorkerSetupPackage::                 |   SetupPackage setup failed due to unknown error
12:42:32|..        |ExecutionEngine::WorkerCompleted()      |   Result of step execution: Result of 'InstallResultSetupPackage', Setup Succeeded: False; Reboot Required: NoReboot; Child Results Count: 0; Details:  Return Value: 1; Errors: 0; Warnings 0; 
12:42:32|.         |ExecutionEngine::WorkerCompleted()      |END executing step SetupUnit (DiagBase), Failed -  - PlusOptional, AddLocal

Does any of you know what kind of software belongs to this product code C9E3F8B0-2465-49C8-B4FD-0E275AF83C56?

Thanks in advance! If any of you wants to know more information or wants to do the same please let me know ;)

Greets

Patrick

As far as I know, the new Siemens Open Controller PLC is only released to run on Siemens IPCs, i.e. IPC427D, IPC627D, IPC827D.

One problem I can foresee is that since it is a software PLC, all IO is supposed to connect via Profinet. And possibly the Profinet stack is only released to run on certain chipsets. Just guessing.
Also, retain-memory is stored to a special flash memory on the Siemens IPCs. I am guessing that wont work either on a non-Siemens PC, or a VM.

Do you intend to run the SW controller in a VM for a real application, or is this just for training purposes ?
If for training purposes, PLCSIM works fine in a VM.

Hi JesperMP,

Thanks for your reaction.

As far as I know, the new Siemens Open Controller PLC is only released to run on Siemens IPCs, i.e. IPC427D, IPC627D, IPC827D.

That is true. I talked to Siemens and in the future this software will be available on other devices. I have edited the BIOS rom file so he thinks it is a IPC427D. There are no errors whatsoever during installation.

Do you intend to run the SW controller in a VM for a real application, or is this just for training purposes ?
If for training purposes, PLCSIM works fine in a VM.

This VM is only used for debugging/testing and development. We need to have PLC to PLC communication

Also, retain-memory is stored to a special flash memory on the Siemens IPCs. I am guessing that wont work either on a non-Siemens PC, or a VM.

During installation a piece of the D partition gets cut off. This piece will be formatted to a raw partition. The result is the same as in the manual.

Can someone provide me a screenshot of installed software on a IPC?

Hi Drumpat Patric,

Iam tried to install 1507s V2.1 in a vmware machine with modified bios, all go well during the installation and also when I restart the PC, but after when i try to start the PLC my vm freeze.

Could you share with me how do you modified the bios (what you change) and how do you install the sw?

Thank a lot
Tony

Hi Drumpat Patric,

Iam tried to install 1507s V2.1 in a vmware machine with modified bios, all go well during the installation and also when I restart the PC, but after when i try to start the PLC my vm freeze.

Could you share with me how do you modified the bios (what you change) and how do you install the sw?

I've also tried to get this to work in VMWARE (ESXI), without any luck.

VM freeze on startup, installation without problems.
Anyone succeeded on this?

Best regards
Ben

a1.jpg

I have the same problem

I've fixed this by using the recovery dvd from IPC477D (only windows installed). Now it starts, but when I start the CPU windows freeze.
I also can not download the pc-station from TIA

I am mystified about what you want to achieve with this.
Why are you trying to run the SW controller in a VM ? It is clearly not a suitable environment to run a software controller if it shall operate in a deterministic manner.

If you need to simulate the program for testing or training then use PLCSIM.

I am mystified about what you want to achieve with this.
Why are you trying to run the SW controller in a VM ? It is clearly not a suitable environment to run a software controller if it shall operate in a deterministic manner.

If you need to simulate the program for testing or training then use PLCSIM.

I'm with Jesper on this one. Putting it in a VM takes away 99% of the advantage of a real soft PLC over a Simulation. If you want to just test your code, use PLC SIM. If you want to do some fancy simulation (networked comunication, linked to Matlab or other simulation, changing time base, etc), then you can use PLC Sim Advanced.