Solution for USB to Serial Adapter

Thanks for all the helpful info. I am going to purchase the one that GeniusInTraining posted http://www.plccable.com/usb-to-rs232-plc-programming-cable-special-plctalk-net/
I also need a 9pin to 25 pin adaptor for a Simantec 505
Is there anything more I should get to kit myself up?
I have 2x Simantec505s that will likely be upgraded to a compactlogix, and an SLC 5/03 that may go the same way (or go to a Moeller easy819 as has its other unit)

plccable has a DH485 cable that works great. It might be handy for accessing the 5/03 if it's serial port has another purpose. Get some null modem adapters and gender changers to keep in your cable kit. I don't know much about siemens hardware so can't help much there.

If you're going to try to use the USB to serial with TISOFT software, it won't work. You'll need a real serial port, or try a virtual PC software with DOS installed as the guest OS, and have it use the COM port of your USB/Serial COM Port on the host OS - but that will be hit and miss.

USB/Serial should be fine if you are using Fastrak's 505 Workshop software (for Windows).

I've had good luck with the USConverters ultimate converter.

I've also tried the Triplite converter, which is hi-speed (900k baud) and has a monitor that allows you to see the communication going back and forth between the devices as well.

XS880 is the ultimate converter. You get what you paid for!

A useful low end addition to your troubleshooting tool kit for serial comms would be just a single LED. It can be very useful in finding out whether or not there is a signal on a serial connection. Nothing more nothing less. Independent of protocols, baud rate, 7/8 bit, with or without parity, stop bit etc. If it blinks, then there is a signal. It can save a lot of head scratching and hair pulling.

does anyone know of someone that has a usb to rs232 and rs485 combination? we deal with alot of 485 devices so I carry a b&b converter, but it would be nice to have something that did both just as a backup.

does anyone know of someone that has a usb to rs232 and rs485 combination? we deal with alot of 485 devices so I carry a b&b converter, but it would be nice to have something that did both just as a backup.

I use the USConverters RS485 dongle. It's not a combo, but it works just fine.

Thanks for all the helpful info. I am going to purchase the one that GeniusInTraining posted http://www.plccable.com/usb-to-rs232-plc-programming-cable-special-plctalk-net/
I also need a 9pin to 25 pin adaptor for a Simantec 505
I have 2x Simantec505s that will likely be upgraded to a compactlogix, and an SLC 5/03 that may go the same way (or go to a Moeller easy819 as has its other unit)

Hi Jeff and welcome to PLCTalk

We do not have anything for the old TI's... I would love to sell you a cable but you may be able to save a few dollars and pick up a cable over there and save on the shipping, my cables are proven to work on everything and come with a lifetime replacement, that said the Keyspan is also a very good product and you should be able to pick on up local, I sell a LOT to AU but most of my customers buy several products so the shipping cost is not as bad, since your buying just one cable it may not be worth the extra cost

diat150 said:
does anyone know of someone that has a usb to rs232 and rs485 combination?
We use to make a 422/485 combo but not a 232/485 and I dont know of anyone that does

For me the best usb to serial so far is the moxa UPort 1150. It has 232 and 485, you change it in the device manager.
The moxa is very reliable and (almost) never loses connection, something i experienced with other converters.

GoldX from AD has never failed me. I keep buying them because I lose or loan them(and lose them)...well supported too. Cheap $$