Clearing a Micrologix 1100 fault.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
Is there a way to clear a fault in a ML 1100 without using a PC connected to the PLC?

Thank you!

It all depends on the fault and how the program writer configured it. I'm guessing you've already tried the good old reboot?

What are all the LEDs indicating? Color and solid or flashing

Well, I really don't know. The guy from the plant left a message and he didn't say if he already tried to reboot the PLC, or what are the leds displaying. He only asked if he could clear the fault without needing someone to go with a PC and RSLogix 500.
Since I am a novice and I didn't want to appear as clueless as I am when I call him back, I decided to check with the old folks here what can be done in this case.
A related question: can the programming hand-held programming devices clear the faults?

The problem with just clearing the fault is that if the condition is still there that caused the fault, then it will immediately fault again.

You need to at least know if the fault LED is flashing or solid. If it is solid then you may not be able to recover from it with a computer.

TWControls,
What you mean is that if the reboot does not work, you need a PC or to fix the cause of the fault?
If you fix the cause of the fault, do you still need the PC?

Sorry, but it's too cold for me up there right now. But I think that would be best to find someone local to go look at it

But find out if the fault LED is solid or flashing first.

Ideally, you want to find out what the fault is by going online to the PLC.

Rather than simply clearing it with a power cycle (if that works) and hoping whatever the fault is doesn't occur again.

Like TWControl already mentioned, the rate at which the fault LED flashes can tell you some information of the cause of the fault.

TWControls,
What you mean is that if the reboot does not work, you need a PC or to fix the cause of the fault?
If you fix the cause of the fault, do you still need the PC?
Chances are, the cause of the fault is not external. It will probably be a math error in the program...

Does the PLC have any expansion modules? Might check those connectors and make sure it is properly grounded

Odds are rather slim that you can fix the fault without a PC if rebooting did not work.

Best, fastest solution is going online and finding out what the fault is. Then you can correct the issue. Take a copy of the program with you. With certain hardware faults even going online may not be possible.

If you do get online look in processor status, find the tabe called errors then get the fault code. The help menu can give you a pretty good idea what the codes mean.

ML1100 resetting

On the ML1100, the keypad will let you clear a fault, provided that the fault conditions are cleared

On keypad:
Press ESC to get back to main menu, which should show
[][][][][] REMOTE (Note, any of the 5 squares may be black)
> I/O Status
Monitoring
Mode Switch

Press Down v to Advance Set, then OK
Press Down v to Fault Code (make note of error), then OK
eg. Major Error
Code = 0187h
Press ESC to main menu
Press Down v to Mode Switch, then OK
Change to Program, then OK
Change to Run, then OK (Run light should come on)
Change back to Remote, then OK
Press ESC to get back to main menu

good luck (y)