S7 1200 HSC Speed Configuration

Right-click on the PLC and select Properties.
On the window that opens up, select the High Speed Counter option.

Under it should be listed five different HSC's. Enable one. When you enable it, the fields to set it up become active.

Scroll down til you see Function.
For Type of Counting, select Frequency.
For Frequency Measuring Period, select 1.0 Sec.
The other settings depend on your setup.

Go alittle further down and view the Start Address. It should be something like 1016, and is a double word.

You will have to look at this double word in the program to actually view the frequency, it doesn't show up on one of the CTRL_HSC instuction's pins.

Hello Thanks for the reply,

yes that makes sense alright.

While you are there could you give me some guidance on the configuration of the HSC. I have been in contact with Siemens but am still having some trouble.

I have a proximity sensor sending high speed pulses into the PLC. My PLC is a 1214C CPU. I go into the device configuration and "enable HSC 1" and that is as far as i get. I am not sure about interrupts etc? the main thing is i am not sure where to view the pulse count i was told it can be viewed on "ID1000".

is there any step by step guide on setting the HSC up or any example program i could use? Any help would be much appreciated as i am under a bit of pressure to get this counter up and running

thanks

What do you want to do with it (the value)?

If you have configured HSC_1 with pretty much default settings, then either count value or frequency is in ID1000 (default is count).

Have had look on S7-1200 easy book?

hello,

I want to send the value to a scada screen as the pulses per second value indicates the speed of a conveyor. there are actually four conveyors that will each need a HSC. the four pulse signals are the exact same. I looked at easybook but it still seems vague to me and i find it hard to follow.

could i have a look at the programs you configured or could you give me a basic step by step procedure? I don't need anything fancy just simply a real time measurement of four pulses in pulses/sec

As mentioned does the measurement come in on ID1000 and if so where and how do i view it? an example program would be of great help

regards

Which scada you have?

You can either move it to some other memory location or link your tag in scada straigh to it.

When you condigure your hsc like tim2 said, you will have pulses per second value in IDxxxx (depends on configuration, there is place for it, just look around in hwconfig).

so after i have completed the basic configuration i.e connected my proximity input pulse into I0.0 and then ticked "HSC1 enable" in the device configuration I should be able to view the pulse/second value in the PLC.

where exactly is the IDxxxx value and how do i sent it to the SCADA system? I tried to use a move block with input ID1000 but nothing happened

Put in a Move instruction and assign address ID1000 to its input and some unused location as its output. you will then be able to see the counts, if you're input is connected to I0.0.

You won't see it until you address something with ID1000.

ID1000 is "input double word 1000" not ID, like in identification. I screwed that up with the terminology at first.

oh yes i see, could you put DW100 or something on the outlet side of the move block

in the set up of the HSC then there is no need to specify a load of parameters such as the pulse width, magnitude etc of the pulse signal. just simply enable the HSC1 and put the input pulse from the sensor on I0.0 and it should display the speed in pulses/sec.

there is really nothing to configure only enable? bearing in mind that the PLC i have will only have 4 HSC and nothing else

There may be a little bit to configure. Just look back at my first post:

Under it should be listed five different HSC's. Enable one. When you enable it, the fields to set it up become active.

Scroll down til you see Function.
For Type of Counting, select Frequency.
For Frequency Measuring Period, select 1.0 Sec.
The other settings depend on your setup.

Go alittle further down and view the Start Address. It should be something like 1016, and is a double word.

When you enable the HSC I think the default for type of counting is COUNT, so you will have to select Frequency. that may be all you have to do.

Yes, just move the ID1000, or whatever address for the HSC you're using, into any other memory double word address and it should be OK.

i have managed to set up the PLC and it seem to count the pulses. the pulses are however incrementing i.e the count keeps totalising.

in order to have this value an instantenous speed i.e a steady value reading for example 10pulses/sec do i only have to go back to the configuration and change from count to frequency.

must i define a new tag when i change to frequency similar to the default "COUNT" tag.

How do i go about changing the HSC counter to display the instantious frequency of pulses

thanks

You can go to frequency or as part of the HSC interrupt you can set the current value to zero. Of course if you do that you would probably also want to store the current value before zeroing it.

yes TurpoUrpo of course i tried it but it didnt work

Thank you BryanG for the help. well i just want a value that gives me the instantanous speed of the motor from the pulses. at the moment it is just totalising the counts.

I tried changing from counts to frequency but for some reason out of "ID1000" i still get a totalised value