Powerflex 40P Fault 13

kecribb

I have powerflex 40P drives that fault out with Fault 13. I can disconnect the load and the motor will work fine. As soon as I reconnect the belt I get the fault. I ahve also connected another motor to the same drive and it faults out also. I have followed all the recommendations on checking the motor and everything checks out. I replaced the drive and everything is working fine. I sent the drive that is faulting out to a repair facility and they cannot duplicate the fault on a bench test they say it is working fine but when it comes back I get the same problem. I have had the same fault on multiple drives in different locations and the only solution we have found is to change the drives. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should tell the repair facility is wrong?

For those of us unfamiliar with the PF40 drives, what does Fault 13 cross-reference to in the drive's manual? If we can get some more specifics, we might be more able to help.

Might you have grounding or noise issues in your facility that don't exist at the repair facility? Weird faults like what you've described are often grounding issues in some form.

-rpoet

I had an over current fault on some PF4. i don't remember he fault code. I uncoupled the load and the drive would run. Jog the drive just fine. Reconnected the load and over current fault again. We checked bearings, greased the slides. I moved the load by hand with very little effort. It turned out to be a single phase issue because of a broken wire in a flexable cable tray.
The moral of this is do not over look the simple stuff?

I have powerflex 40P drives that fault out with Fault 13. I can disconnect the load and the motor will work fine. As soon as I reconnect the belt I get the fault. I ahve also connected another motor to the same drive and it faults out also. I have followed all the recommendations on checking the motor and everything checks out. I replaced the drive and everything is working fine. I sent the drive that is faulting out to a repair facility and they cannot duplicate the fault on a bench test they say it is working fine but when it comes back I get the same problem. I have had the same fault on multiple drives in different locations and the only solution we have found is to change the drives. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should tell the repair facility is wrong?

According to the User Manual, Fault 13 is a Ground Fault.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/22d-um001_-en-e.pdf

I would check all the problem VFDs to see if they are all the same Manufacturing Run, and similar Manufacture Dates. There may be an issue with the VFDs, that happens from time to time.

There may be an issue with your installation that could cause this behavior. We would need to know the exact Model Number of the PF40P, operating voltate, and if they are on a WYE or Delta System.

Stu....

You may be using these drives on a floating or unbalanced power source. Anything other than a solidly or low-resistance grounded wye source needs special consideration as to programming and isolating the CE network, if so equipt.

Contact AB for help on configuring the drive for floating supplies, if that's what you've got (sounds likely to me).

See page 1-4 in the manual. If your power supply is ungrounded or resistive grounded, follow the directions for disconnecting the MOVs.

Powerflex 40P

I thought I would bring you up to date. It turns out that the hall effect sonsors were bad. Once they were changed the problem went away.