Can't browse DeviceNet through 1769-SDN

rleon

Hi:

I have a CompactLogix L33ER (Rev 28) with a 1769-SDN Scanner (Rev 4). I have my network working OK. I can start, stop and read AMPS from all motors. The problem is when I need to change a parameter to an E3 Plus via RSNetworx. When I go online I only see the scanner (node 0), all the other nodes show disconnected with the red sign. In RSLinx is the same problem, can't browse the DeviceNet network from my laptop (EtherNet/IP).

I repeat that the network is working because in FTView I see all motors and I can read current, status, etc and can start and stop motors. The problem is that I need to add mores nodes to the network and change parameters to others.

This problem began when I replaced the old CPU (L35E) with this new one.

Any suggest?

Thanks!

What is the full firmware revision for the Scanner (4.xxx)?

Regards,
George

Geospark. The 1769-SDN module is revision 4.4 (The highest one from revision 4.xxx). The same problem occurs with a 2.2 revision (The highest one from revision 2.xxx).

Thanks

rleon said:
...The 1769-SDN module is revision 4.4...

OK, that rules out an anomaly I was going to mention.

Using the same workstation computer, you could browse this DeviceNet network OK before the controller was changed, yes?

Your new controller is using firmware revision 28 and so is using Studio 5000 Logix Designer. Did you only install Studio 5000 recently for this project or was it installed for some time before?

What version of RSNetWorx for DeviceNet are you currently using? If say, v11, then I'm of the thinking that installing Studio 5000 could possibly have "broken" RSNetWorx for DeviceNet with regard to the EDS subsystem that is in use on your workstation.

Can we rule it in or out by answering the above please?

Regards,
George

I'm of the thinking that installing Studio 5000 could possibly have "broken" RSNetWorx for DeviceNet with regard to the EDS subsystem

This is especially true if the [+] emblem indicating that there's a sub-network under the 1769-SDN module is absent in the network browse.

Many users installed Studio 5000 v21 and RSLinx Classic 3.x (or later) but didn't upgrade RSNetworx, which left RSNetworx (v10 or v11, probably) with no working mechanism to browse to the DeviceNet because it doesn't understand the modern EDS system.

Using the same workstation computer, you could browse this DeviceNet network OK before the controller was changed, yes?

Yes. I could browse DeviceNet in L35E before the controller was changed.

Your new controller is using firmware revision 28 and so is using Studio 5000 Logix Designer. Did you only install Studio 5000 recently for this project or was it installed for some time before?

I have installed Studio 5000 V28 and RSLogix 5000 V20 with RSNetworx V25 before this project and I could browse all DeviceNet Networks, the networks in ControlLogix and network in L35E. The only change that I have made is the CPU, nothing in the workstation software .

What version of RSNetWorx for DeviceNet are you currently using? If say, v11, then I'm of the thinking that installing Studio 5000 could possibly have "broken" RSNetWorx for DeviceNet with regard to the EDS subsystem that is in use on your workstation.

I am using RSNwetworx V25 and I can browse all other networks that I have with 1756-DNB. The only that is having problems is L33ER with 1769-SDN.

Other thing, In RSLinx I can see the 1769-SDN (only see module in tree, not browse network) without yellow question mark so I suppose that EDS is OK.

Thanks George

Your last post would serve to rule out an EDS Subsystem compatibility issue. However, having thought about it some more the other day, after Ken mentioned the [+] expander, I had realized that this was most likely not an EDS Subsystem issue as, according to your opening post, you can browse passed the scanner module [+] in RSNetWorx for DeviceNet, and are seeing the devices. They show up with the correct icon but with the Red/Yellow overlay warning, denoting that the devices are missing. If this were an EDS Subsystem issue then they would not display with their correct icons. Either way, I thought it best to await your reply, which I expected would rule the above out, and then move on...

OK, as your browsing issue is beginning to narrow down to the new controller, specifically, I would next suspect the EDS file for the CompactBus. This is specifically for the backplane and is not the controller EDS file. If you upload the EDS file from the controller, it does not upload the CompactBus EDS file. It must be separately installed.

Note: This CompactBus EDS file is a newer version for the 5370 controllers and is not the same as the equivalent file for the older CompactLogix controllers.

With the version levels of software you've mentioned recently installed, this specific EDS file should have been added to your system. But, just in case something did not go right during installation or has become corrupted, you can download a copy of the file from the end of this technote...

617524 - RSLinx Classic : Able to see CompactLogix controller but can't expand it to the CompactBus
Access Level: TechConnect

If you can access that (let us know if not), then you could try downloading and registering that EDS file and then make another attempt at browsing the network.

Im not certain that this file is your issue. I'm just trying to work through the likely causes here until we hopefully find a hit. I have a couple more possibilities beyond this one.

G.

Thanks George for your answer. I didn't know that there were separate EDS files for the CompactBus. I will search for that and then comment here.

As additional info, in RSLinx the eds fle for CompactBus is 0001006C00B301XX.EDS, indicting a Rev. 1.001

Thanks again

Last edited:
you can download a copy of the file from the end of this technote...

617524 - RSLinx Classic : Able to see CompactLogix controller but can't expand it to the CompactBus
Access Level: TechConnect

If you can access that (let us know if not), then you could try downloading and registering that EDS file and then make another attempt at browsing the network.

G.

MY thecnonnect expired, so I can't download the file. Could you please tell me what EDS is to search it in AB web page?

Thanks

It's the same as you've found - 0001006C00B30100.eds

It may be that it is registered and being accessed correctly.

If you can't find a copy of it let me know.

I'm going off grid soon so just to keep you moving forward...

If the EDS file looks to be OK then the next thing I'd suggest is deleting the Harmony files for RSLinx Classic...

769010 - RSLinx Classic: Clearing cache by deleting Harmony files
Access Level: Everyone

G.

Last edited:
George:

I deleted harmony files and now I can browse DeviceNet nodes through RSNetworx. But the issue is that I can only browse in one of the Compactlogix L33ER. The other one is still giving browsing problems. I think that there should be another kind of problem because in RSLinx I can see the CPU but the modules appear with red cross randomly, as if there is a problem on the Compactbus.

rleon said:
...I deleted harmony files and now I can browse DeviceNet nodes through RSNetworx...

Ok, at least we're getting somewhere now.

rleon said:
...But the issue is that I can only browse in one of the Compactlogix L33ER. The other one is still giving browsing problems...

Now there's two! I'm wondering if you were sort of referring to this other controller here...

rleon said:
Geospark. The 1769-SDN module is revision 4.4 (The highest one from revision 4.xxx). The same problem occurs with a 2.2 revision (The highest one from revision 2.xxx)...

Is the 1769-SDN on this suspect CompactBus at firmware revision 2.2? If so, then I might have to mention that anomaly I was thinking of earlier in the thread...

462381 - 1769-SDN: CompactLogix Compact Bus backplane communication issues
Access Level: Everyone

You should be able to access that?

To avoid this anomaly, controller and DeviceNet scanner firmware revisions need to be at a certain minimum level. If this second 1769-SDN is at 2.2 then you should flash upgrade it to 4.4, similar to the first scanner module (it is the 4.4 scanner that's browsing OK now, yes?). What firmware revision is the second L33ER currently at? (r28 as well?) or is it possibly at something lower that could be also affected here?

If I'm guessing incorrectly on the firmware revisions in play here then use the revision cut off points in the technote to decide what needs flash upgrading, if anything.

Regards,
George