Serial Port on the Logix 5562 to RS-485

RetiQlum

I have a 5562 that I need to attempt to connect to a RS-485 Emerson Drive. The issue I have is that I can't for the life of me find the pinout.

Also, is this possible without a converter? I remember needing to use an adapter with other PLCs. I need it to do Modbus-RTU. I will be getting the ProSoft (4 ports needed if you believe it) cards with the new PLC when it comes in, but I need to use this old one for the time being.

Thanks in advance.

I need 4 ports because there are 4 drive controllers. The response time for serial communications is too low. Of course if we just added the Ethernet/IP modules to the controllers would could save something like $8k per system these go into.

You will probably not be satisfied with the response time of the Modbus/RTU sample code for the 1756-L6x serial port, especially if you're daisy-chaining it to multiple devices.

How many read/write registers to you need to do per Emerson controller ?

If you just need to do a few, and you don't mind spending a little time experimenting with configuration, the GridConnect NET485 is the most cost-effective way to connect a handful of Modbus/RTU serial registers to a ControlLogix over Ethernet.

It only addresses one slave device, but it's $100 retail. And once you get the configuration file figured out, you just load it via TFTP and you're done.

I need 4 ports because there are 4 drive controllers.
Why don't you connect the drivers in a dasy-chain?

The response time for serial communications is too low.
The response time will be an issue if you intend to control the speed using a PID from the controller. In similar configurations, I use the internal driver's PID and set the speed from the PLC. Of course, I don't know if that's possible in your application.