Factory Talk ME PVP Project

Are you sure, that {plc_inport\B3_0_3} is a HMI tag? Black box could be the ERROR stae of the multistate indicator, if there is no connection to the above tag. Try what cwal61 suggested above.

I'm about frustrated enough to say screw the whole animated pipes deal; I reconfigured the program tags so I entered them manually vice import from PLC project; I was able to change to color to my desired shades for 1 and 0 and yet when I run the (test) button, the objects (pipes, Lines or Pumps) go translucent or black vice from grey to blue (water flow). Ugh

Not sure what's going on here.

Mdim- that tag is just one I entered for the symbol--it's not connected to the PLC, I'm just addressing the objects and testing them on the laptop program to see if the color changes when i introduce a state change...maybe I'm overthinking the test function and it's not going to act like a connected HMI to a controller and the color change won't occur??

In the communication you have setting for the HMI and for the PC. The test function works with whatever comms you set for the PC. So if you address a tag in the PLC and the runtime(test) doesn't see it, it's an error. If you create a HMI tag and you address it, then, no need of communication path, as even when not connected to PLC, your application can see it. So best option is to create an local HMI tag, that you use for test purpose. and you create a toggle button, connected to same tag, so you can change it.

When working in the animation properties window, what's the difference between fill and line? if your trying to simply turn the pipe blue from default when the input is true, what's the procedure?

In the color animation menu line is the outline, fill is the color of the inner part of the shape. You can have them both same color, you can have line always black, gray or whatever.
To change the color, just select colors for the fill for both states 0 and 1 and select the tag or expression that will control it. If you created the tag already, you can press Tags button and select it from the list

Well I may have discovered the problem but no solution; I made a test block with a background using orange as the background color.
When I tested the program my pipes turned that color...not the previous color or clear even or the selected color in the animation window; why did it pick up the color from the test background for the text and not the one in the properties/animation window? This is insane.

I guess you still didn't create the test tag and you are referring to a non-existing tag, so then you get error and the block is transparent. CREATE the tag in your HMI if you are not connected to PLC. Ope TAGS in the explorer tree of FTV ME. Create a new tag. Give it any nam (test is ok). Type should be DIGITAL. In Data source menu select MEMORY. and press accept.
Now when you go to your animation and if you press the TAGS button on the right, you should be able to see your tag. If you select it, now your animation is finally connected to a tag. and if you run the test of the application, should be ok.

I'm just addressing the objects and testing them on the laptop program to see if the color changes when i introduce a state change...maybe I'm overthinking the test function and it's not going to act like a connected HMI to a controller and the color change won't occur??

How are you introducing the state change? The test function should act like an HMI connected to a controller if it is actually connected to a controller. If the tag you are using is designed to be used with a controller, it may not be getting a value at all, causing the weird issues you are describing. You may be able to create a momentary push button and set the Value and Indicator Connections to the tag you are using to change the pipe color. When you set the color animation for the pipe, just put the tag in the expression box, you shouldn't need anything like "Tag == 1". Once those are set, try testing the screen again and see if the colors change.

I tested this myself and it worked, but I used a tag that I created to be a local tag.

Mikey,

I created a momentary push button on the same screen and assigned it the same b3:0/3 as the pipes (which indicate water flow from pump being energized) but when i create the runtime and test, I just get error window popping so saying the tag couldn't' be referenced or something like that (well, because the HMi isn't actually connected to a controller)I just inserted the tag b3:0/3 in the expression box.
When i run a different test the pipe color changes, just not the colors what I set in the animation window but one I just used for a text background????

mdim--thanks. I'm home now with no access to the software but I'll try it tomorrow.
Not understanding how this can be so difficult (to me). I've created FTV projects before but honestly never used animations.

Todd, If you are using the Test Application (aka. the running man) then the software is looking for the PLC thru the Design Tab Shortcut. Open Factory Talk Diagnostic Viewer it logs everything. You'll find it under All Programs>Rockwell Software>FactoryTalk Tools>Diagnostic Viewer. It will tell you what's wrong.
Diagnostic Viewer.png

But the simple solution with what your trying is to go to the FTV Tag Folder where B3/03 resides. Then, change the tag type from Device to Memory. Run the application and test with your momentary button. Once you see it work, then go back to the Tag folder and change it back to Device and remap it to PLC.

Tag folder.PNG

Good Luck with your project!

Reverse Engineering

This is the syntax I use, {::[SLC505]B3:1/0}
I am stuck on nights so I started learning Panel View. The script can get a little tricky. I am always emulating script from panel views that do cool things.

Thanks everyone for patience and help;
cwal, doing that worked--the color change initiated by the momentary button changed them to the correct color. Not positive what was going on but at least now I'm in the right direction on the seemingly "easy" procedure.