S7 Ethernet $ Sick CLV 650 Barcode Reader

DeepThought

Hi Guys,

Ethernet on siemens is new to me so i am hoping someone can help me with this.
I have a S7 315 with a 343-1 and i need to connect a sick CLV 650 bar code reader to it. What i need to know is how to write the software for the connections and send an Ascii character to the bar code reader and recieve the data from the reader.

Thanks in advance

Problem is that the SICK scanner "supports TCP/IP", but that does not in itself say very much. It also supports Ethernet/IP, but that will work with an AB PLC, not a Siemens PLC.
I would seriously consider a barcode scanner that can be integrated directly with an S7 PLC without you having to use too much time with figuring out how to get the SICK scanner to work with an S7.

A short search on the www revealed this scanner that has a Profinet interface:
http://www.leuze.de/press/data/bcl548i/bcl548i_en.html
There may be other possibilities with Profibus or Profinet.
For the Leuze scanner with PN, the easiest would be to ditch the 315+CP343-1 for a 315-2PNDP with an integrated PN port. Will be better and same price anyway.

Hi JesperMP, Thanks for tyhe reply,

I have no choice in the scanner type that is already in place I need to communicate with this in whatever way i can whether it be tcp or ethernet

regards

For sure you will need one gate way to exchange data from CLV to your PLC(Ethernet and MPI capable only?),CLV itself can't work alone. And also later for configuring scanner by CLV-Setup, gate way also necessary.

Thanks after some thought I have thought about connecting it through my HMI (19" PC 677Touch) this may provide my gateway so i can pass the data onto the PLC. Once solved i will re-post what i did.
In the mean time further answers are appreciated.

Sick supports profiinet profibus Ethernet IP eterhcat......lots more

Hi best solution is to contact the sick office in your country , they will give you function blocks and EDS GSD files and help documents
To my knowledge there isn't a field us that SICK can't support and the tech support is world wide.
I don't look at this page often ! But you can contact [email protected] for more details and someone will contact you . Or ask for me
Or Google SICK subsidiary in your country
Tim