TIA Portal v14 and S71200 firmware

coasterbp

I have a project that was converted to v14 of portal. I'm trying to get online with the PLC (S7-1214 v2.2.0 firmware).

Portal is saying that I can't go online because the blocks can only accessed using v11.02. Would updating the firmware on the PLC help me with that or do I have to roll back to v11 of Portal?

I would think by flashing to a newer firmware will erase the program in the CPU so it will be blank and you would need to re-write it... do you know who wrote the program?

That would be ok. I have the program. It just won't let me connect because I have v14 on my laptop and it was created in v11. I wasn't sure if I needed to either update the firware on the PLC or rollback my version of portal.

The firmware can not be updated any higher, you have the last possible version for that CPU. If you are willing to wipe out the existing program with the new version just connect to the CPU with TIA (any version up to current 15.1) and download the new program wiping in the old in the process. Is this a live CPU, if yes make sure you have a backup of the v11 program in case things get wacky.

Is this a live CPU, if yes make sure you have a backup of the v11 program in case things get wacky.

Boy thats the truth, because they will get wacky :)

I think its been awhile but you can convert the program but I thought I read one time that you could only skip one V so you will need to manually write the V11 to V15 then download, they may have changed it but see if you can import the program as V11 then just download as V14

V13SP1 is required to upgrade to anything beyond that. So v11 would have to be upgraded to v13SP1 and then it can be upgraded (opened) to anything after that, v13SP2,14,14SP1,15,15.1

I may be wrong on the SP1 and SP2 part it may be possible to upgrade v11 to SP2 as there wasn't a huge difference between the two versions. I will test that later today.

Edit: It is possible to upgrade directly to V13SP2. As it turns out I don't even have V13P1 any more.

Last edited:
That would be ok. I have the program. It just won't let me connect because I have v14 on my laptop and it was created in v11. I wasn't sure if I needed to either update the firware on the PLC or rollback my version of portal.

Portal is pretty unforgiving about going online with a project created in a different version. That's still true even with the newest versions. Sometimes there is some leeway to go online, read diagnostic buffers, etc, but uploading is definitely out of the picture.

You can install V11 in parallel with V14, so no need to fully roll back, assuming you have the space on your hard drive.