DB with alarms, wich alarm was first

userxyz

Hi,

I have a DB with many alarms... let's say 500 bits bundled in words.
You all know the problem when hitting an emergency stop that several alarms can be shown. You cannot see wich one was first.

So I was thinking how to solve this one...

I can write a loop that searches in the words or so, but what will I know... I can log the first fault maybe... what to do with the next...

Maybe show only the first within a timeframe of 10s, donno.

I will know wich bit in the DB, but I will not know what text to show, maybe a change with the discrete alarms...

Or I should change the way alarms are show on panels now, link them to a copy of the alarm DB en lookup the first alarm en link that one to the DB that linked to the discrete alarms...

Anyone had this situation before ?

Thanks,
Kind regards,
Gerry

Last edited:
Alarm priority through the scan. Highest prio scanned first. Each alarm has nr corresponding to nr on HMI. First active alarm moves its nr into the 'Stop Cause' variable.

It's one way to do it that works the same on the different systems/brands we have.

Hi,

Thanks guys for the replies.

The DB contains many words containing bitalarms. What I can do is using indirect acces to check all bits in a DB into words. In STL this can be done with the adress register. Is there an easy method is SCL also for such ?

Not a TIA CPU, so PEEK and POKE doesn't work.

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards,
Gerry

Last edited:
Code

Hi,

Here is a screenshot of the DB:

Untitled.jpg

It's allowed in STL too... but even then it's not an easy task. Ik can write a loop that checks all adresses, but the goal is this:

When an alarm triggers, a certain bit becomes high in the DB. The thing is, after several PLC cycles other bit's can trigger too, these bits have to be ignored in the first 10 seconds after a NEW alarm. After 10 seconds I must be able to find new alarms as well in the DB.

Main goal: Finding the first alarm and log it.

Kind regards,
Gerry

Only used TIA so this is one of those probably silly answers.

Have copies of the Alarm DB, on the first alarm copy the alarm DB to the first copy, that stores you first alarm. You could go further and add a counter and store the next alarms in more copies.

Array

I'm thinking to copy the DB with bits to a DB with an array of bits and then search in that array with SCL code...

Only used TIA so this is one of those probably silly answers.

Have copies of the Alarm DB, on the first alarm copy the alarm DB to the first copy, that stores you first alarm. You could go further and add a counter and store the next alarms in more copies.

Last edited:
Why couldn't you monitor all alarm words = 0. If true then no alarm. If not true then alarm active. If alarm active then run alarm time.
Then condition to set alarm bit would be: All alarms words = 0 OR Alarm Active Timer Done.

Sfc20

Hi,

799 byte's I have,
That's why I'm trying to push things in a loop search.
799 byte's = 6392 alarms.

Even with words, I need something with a loop, I cannot evaluate each word, that would be too much code.

Ik copied P#DB1000.DBX0.0 BYTE 799 into P#DB1001.DBX BYTE 799 with SFC20.
DB1001 is an array of 799 Bits.

Now I can write in SCL a Repeat Until loop to search for an arraybit that is high.

Kind regards,
Gerry

Why couldn't you monitor all alarm words = 0. If true then no alarm. If not true then alarm active. If alarm active then run alarm time.
Then condition to set alarm bit would be: All alarms words = 0 OR Alarm Active Timer Done.

Last edited: