S7 questions

arocon

Dear all,

I am new-bie in PLC and trying to learn. Could anybody explain follwoing code in S7:
Network 2 Startup monitorin

A #Motor

L #Response_Time

SD #Timer_No

AN #Motor

R #Timer_No

L #Timer_No

T #Timer_bin

LC #Timer_No

T #Timer_BCD

A #Timer_No

AN #Response

S #Fault

R #Motor

Network 3 Start lamp and fault reset

A #Response

= #Start_Dsp

R #Fault

Thank you in advance.

arocon said:
Dear all,

I am new-bie in PLC and trying to learn. Could anybody explain follwoing code in S7:
Network 2 Startup monitorin

A #Motor // If BOOL Bit #Motor is ON
L #Response_Time //Run On - Delay Timer #Timer_No,
SD #Timer_No // with a preset = #Response_Time

AN #Motor // If BOOL Bit #Motor is OFF
R #Timer_No // Reset the Timer

L #Timer_No // Load the actual time in binery format and store
T #Timer_bin

LC #Timer_No // Load the actual time in BCD format and store
T #Timer_BCD

A #Timer_No // If the timer has completed
AN #Response // An no response is seen
S #Fault // Set a Fault bit
R #Motor // and turn off the motor

Network 3 Start lamp and fault reset

A #Response // If Response is seen
= #Start_Dsp // Turn on Start_Dsp
R #Fault // And RESET Fault

Thank you in advance.

Seems to be looking at a motor feedback bit.

Can't remember if the time valuse are time remaining (counting down) or time used (counting up)

EDIT: Not sure how it resets the fault once set as I would expect the output to be disabled when fault active, unless there's a reset pushbutton piece of code somewhere.

Ok, two things:

1. It's too bad, because the person who wrote this code didn't understand S7 very well (I'll explain why below), so it may or may not be a good thing to study this particular program.

2. To understand how S7 STL works, I find it useful to read it as though you were describing it to someone over the telephone. For instance, line by line it would go like this:

If the motor is running....
Load the Response Time
and Start an OnDelay Timer.
When the motor stops running,
and reset the Timer.
Load the time value,
and transfer it to an integer variable.
Load the time value in BCD,
and transfer it to a BCD variable.
etc, etc

Just refer to the Siemens help to understand each instruction.

Now, the reason I say that the person who wrote this didn't understand S7 very well is because you don't have to reset an On Delay S7 timer; if the start condition goes false, it resets on its own. It doesn't hurt anything, but makes me wonder about the rest of the program.

Have fun.

Hello,
I think it is necessery to reset the timer. because when the #motor signal is on,the timer will go on the time of last time runing if you don't reset the timer.
the program to detect the motor if normally start in set time,if not they will alarm that make the light on.

leon.LEE said:
Hello,
I think it is necessery to reset the timer. because when the #motor signal is on,the timer will go on the time of last time runing if you don't reset the timer.
the program to detect the motor if normally start in set time,if not they will alarm that make the light on.

No, you are incorrect there. These timers are not retentative. Once the run timer condition is dropped, then the accumulated value will reset.

The reset function does work on on-delay timers, but it just causes the timer to reset even if the timer has already timed out and the condition is still on to run the timer.

S_PEXT and S_ODTS timers can be effected by the reset.

For

yes,you are right.i'm so sorry for make this mistake.i explain again.why the timer need reset?beacause maybe there are monitor on pc to observe the value of this time .if the motor is off or running normally ,we need reset the timer.I don't think it is a bad habit for programer.
best regards!