Micrologix question

We have a process line that is divided into sections(operations). Each of the sections has a micrologix 1000 that communicates to a slc 5/04 through a DNI. I’m getting a device net communication fault on the one I just replaced. Someone has done this very thing on one of the other sections that has been working without issue. But that was before my time. And they left no documentation on how they did it.

And they left no documentation on how they did it.

Welcome to the club...

Sorry I have never used a DNI so I am not going to be much help, guessing you need to make sure your COM's are the same and however the 1000 was set you are going to need to make sure that the 1400 is the same

There is no need to touch the DNI, just open the old program setting from 1000 and compare with the new settings from 1400

Just to add a few more brushstrokes to the picture you're painting us...

Can you please confirm if there is a 1747-SDN DeviceNet Scanner module in the SLC 5/04 chassis acting as the DeviceNet Master polling all these remote MicroLogix controllers via their local 1761-NET-DNI DeviceNet Interface?

Holly said:
...I’m getting a device net communication fault on the one I just replaced...

And if so, what error codes are showing on the 1747-SDN display?

What Series (A or B) is the DNI Interface that is connected to the new MicroLogix 1400 controller?

Do you have the DNI Configuration Utility installed?

Do you have software access to view and configure the DeviceNet network, such as RSNetWorx for DeviceNet?

Holly said:
...I’ve managed to load program...

You appear to have RSLogix software to view/configure the MicroLogix 1400 controller project, both offline and online, yes?

Is the program loaded and running in the MicroLogix 1400 a conversion of the original MicroLogix 1000 program, or is it a new program with the original logic copied over?

Which communications port and which cable is connected between the MicroLogix 1400 and the DNI?

Is the MicroLogix 1400 communications port configured correctly for DF1 to match the DF1 configuration in the DNI (DF1 Baud Rate), similar to the original MicroLogix 1000 port?

If the 1761-NET-DNI is a Series B -

In the configuration for the DNI there is a specific parameter 0011 "DF1 Device". For a MicroLogix 1000, this parameter should have been set to "3" - "MicroLogix 1000".

For an SLC 500, or "other" models of MicroLogix controllers, this parameter "should" be set to "2" - "SLC/other MicroLogix". I've a conditional "should" there as I believe this parameter configures the DNI to expect the default N7 Data File for the MicroLogix 1000 to be assigned for the Input and Output Data File. The MicroLogix 1400 also uses the N7 Data File by default. So it is "possible" that this parameter setting should remain set for "MicroLogix 1000"? The SLC 500 controllers, and the MicroLogix 1500, for instance, use the N9 Data File as their default integer data file.

But there may also be other reasons, that I'm not aware of, why you must change it to "SLC/other MicroLogix" when using a MicroLogix 1400, regardless of the fact that it uses the same default N7 Data File.

So it is possible that the DNI "might" need to be "touched"?

As I've mentioned, there are also parameters in the DNI to configure the default integer Data Files for the DF1 controller I/O data mapping. These parameters should have been set to "7" for the default N7 Data File in the MicroLogix 1000 and should be left at "7" for the MicroLogix 1400, as its default is also the N7 Data File. However, if for instance you are now using say an N10 Data File in the MicroLogix 1400, then you would have to change these parameters from "7" to "10".

Note: If you do find you need or would like to change any parameter settings in a Series B DNI, then you must first set it into idle mode. You do this by first setting parameter 0012 "I/O Scan Enable" to "0" - "Disabled" and then, after you've changed any parameters, set it back to "1" - "Enabled".

Holly said:
...they left no documentation on how they did it...

Apart from us trying to piece together what the status quo is, and if you can answer "yes" to having the wherewithal to view/modify the DNI configuration; I too would advise you to examine the existing, working MicroLogix 1400/DNI setup. It would be the best way to remove all this guesswork on our part and question answering on your part.

Regards,
George

Just to add a few more brushstrokes to the picture you're painting us...

Can you please confirm if there is a 1747-SDN DeviceNet Scanner module in the SLC 5/04 chassis acting as the DeviceNet Master polling all these remote MicroLogix controllers via their local 1761-NET-DNI DeviceNet Interface?

And if so, what error codes are showing on the 1747-SDN display?

What Series (A or B) is the DNI Interface that is connected to the new MicroLogix 1400 controller?

Do you have the DNI Configuration Utility installed?

Do you have software access to view and configure the DeviceNet network, such as RSNetWorx for DeviceNet?

You appear to have RSLogix software to view/configure the MicroLogix 1400 controller project, both offline and online, yes?

Is the program loaded and running in the MicroLogix 1400 a conversion of the original MicroLogix 1000 program, or is it a new program with the original logic copied over?

Which communications port and which cable is connected between the MicroLogix 1400 and the DNI?

Is the MicroLogix 1400 communications port configured correctly for DF1 to match the DF1 configuration in the DNI (DF1 Baud Rate), similar to the original MicroLogix 1000 port?

If the 1761-NET-DNI is a Series B -

In the configuration for the DNI there is a specific parameter 0011 "DF1 Device". For a MicroLogix 1000, this parameter should have been set to "3" - "MicroLogix 1000".

For an SLC 500, or "other" models of MicroLogix controllers, this parameter "should" be set to "2" - "SLC/other MicroLogix". I've a conditional "should" there as I believe this parameter configures the DNI to expect the default N7 Data File for the MicroLogix 1000 to be assigned for the Input and Output Data File. The MicroLogix 1400 also uses the N7 Data File by default. So it is "possible" that this parameter setting should remain set for "MicroLogix 1000"? The SLC 500 controllers, and the MicroLogix 1500, for instance, use the N9 Data File as their default integer data file.

But there may also be other reasons, that I'm not aware of, why you must change it to "SLC/other MicroLogix" when using a MicroLogix 1400, regardless of the fact that it uses the same default N7 Data File.

So it is possible that the DNI "might" need to be "touched"?

As I've mentioned, there are also parameters in the DNI to configure the default integer Data Files for the DF1 controller I/O data mapping. These parameters should have been set to "7" for the default N7 Data File in the MicroLogix 1000 and should be left at "7" for the MicroLogix 1400, as its default is also the N7 Data File. However, if for instance you are now using say an N10 Data File in the MicroLogix 1400, then you would have to change these parameters from "7" to "10".

Note: If you do find you need or would like to change any parameter settings in a Series B DNI, then you must first set it into idle mode. You do this by first setting parameter 0012 "I/O Scan Enable" to "0" - "Disabled" and then, after you've changed any parameters, set it back to "1" - "Enabled".

Apart from us trying to piece together what the status quo is, and if you can answer "yes" to having the wherewithal to view/modify the DNI configuration; I too would advise you to examine the existing, working MicroLogix 1400/DNI setup. It would be the best way to remove all this guesswork on our part and question answering on your part.

Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. I’d like to ask a basic question for starters. If you were tasked with finding a replacement for the micrologix 1000 in this situation and you wanted the easiest and simplest solution taking into account the fact that we have no one on our staff with much Allen Bradley experience and certainly not on your level would you have chosen the 1400? I asked only because we have undergone tremendous turnover and anyone who may have been involved in the one successful change out is gone now. Based on your inquiries if you tell me this is the best solution without having to replace or upgrade other parts of the system then we will have to bring someone in.

Hi Holly,

I'm not sure what you were trying do with the quotation of my last post, but one suggestion I might make is to quote it again but place your answers after each of the questions. That's if that is what you would like to do...

Example...

Geospark said:

Yes, there is a DeviceNet master 1747-SDN local to the SLC 5/04 chassis.

Using a different colour also helps to distinguish the answers from the questions.

Also, as you can see, the quotation did not display properly. This is because the closing "quote" code is missing...

(Note: I've intentionally replaced "E" with "x" to stop the bbcode from attempting to execute)

[QUOTx]
I open a nameless quotation

[QUOTx=Holly]
Holly said:
I open a named quotation

[QUOTx=Holly;123456]
I open a named & linked quotation

[/QUOTx]
I close all quotations

My above example looks like this when I've typed it out...

[QUOTx=Geospark]Can you please confirm if there is a 1747-SDN DeviceNet Scanner module in the SLC 5/04 chassis acting as the DeviceNet Master polling all these remote MicroLogix controllers via their local 1761-NET-DNI DeviceNet Interface?

[COLOx="Red"]Yes, there is a DeviceNet master 1747-SDN local to the SLC 5/04 chassis.[/COLOx][/QUOTx]

...and again executes as follows...

Geospark said:

Yes, there is a DeviceNet master 1747-SDN local to the SLC 5/04 chassis.

EDIT: I see you've since added your comments at the end of your post so take the above for what it's worth at this stage. I'll start another post to reply your query...

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I'd go look at the other 1400 that's already replaced a 1000 and see how it's configured with respect to communications.

Sorry, I’m new to forums and trying to navigate using my iPhone isn’t helping. I’ll be able to answer some of those questions tomorrow when I’m back at work. I do know there is a DeviceNet master in SLC 5/04 rack but I didn’t get the code.

Holly said:
Thanks to all for taking the time to respond. I’d like to ask a basic question for starters. If you were tasked with finding a replacement for the micrologix 1000 in this situation and you wanted the easiest and simplest solution taking into account the fact that we have no one on our staff with much Allen Bradley experience and certainly not on your level would you have chosen the 1400? I asked only because we have undergone tremendous turnover and anyone who may have been involved in the one successful change out is gone now. Based on your inquiries if you tell me this is the best solution without having to replace or upgrade other parts of the system then we will have to bring someone in.

No problem. I'm just on my android phone and it can be painful typing these posts. We can wait for some answers tommorow.

On your general advice query above...

If your staff's AB experience level is low to non-existent, then you are most likely going to have to bring someone in. Or else train your staff? Or do they have any experience with other control platforms which you could consider using? But that may also not be practical or an option if you are primarily an AB user.

Remember, you are asking us to consider suitable equipment for an application, or many applications, where currently all we know is...

Holly said:
...We have a process line that is divided into sections(operations). Each of the sections has a micrologix 1000 that communicates to a slc 5/04 through a DNI...

It would be a little bit difficult for me, or I'm sure others here, to advise which controller would suit best as a replacement without knowing the application and the reason for wanting to upgrade - like increased I/O, more program memory, embedded Ethernet, online editing, etc. If the MicroLogix 1000 was comfortably executing the application for some years then I would arguably say that the MicroLogix 1400 is a quite capable upgrade and should be more than able to execute any ex MicroLogix 1000 project. But, in my opinion, the MicroLogix 1400 would not be considered too advanced an upgrade for a MicroLogix 1000. It would be the best you can upgrade to within the same hardware and software platform, but no more. The MicroLogix 1100 being another slightly lesser option, but I would tend to steer directly towards the MicroLogix 1400, to be honest.

No matter what upgrade you could consider, be it on the same platform, or a higher/newer platform, it is inevitable that the use of programming software will be necessary. You will not, to my knowledge, be able to purchase an off-the-shelf plug-and-play solution where program modification or device configuration will not be necessary.

If you can, in your own time, perhaps outline the application(s) a little more and then we might be able to provide you more informed advice?

As you can see from Firejo's last suggestion, and our similar previous suggestions, we are all of the consensus so far that checking the existing setup for the other MicroLogix 1400 (& the DNI) would be the best and simplest advice we can give you here, if you have the means to do so. If you have the means (software) but not the knowhow then we can certainly guide you, if you wish.

Regards,
George

Thank you again for taking the time to respond. I’ve been informed that our purchasing department has located a suitable 1000 and we should have it tomorrow afternoon. That will give us time to work through the 1400 upgrade.

[QUOTx=Geospark]Can you please confirm if there is a 1747-SDN DeviceNet Scanner module in the SLC 5/04 chassis acting as the DeviceNet Master polling all these remote MicroLogix controllers via their local 1761-NET-DNI DeviceNet Interface?

Yes, there is a 1747-SDN DeviceNet Scanner module in the SLC 5/04 chassis and the fault code was 86.