OT: Coronavirus do you care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The regular flu has killed thousands of times the people. The only people that have died have had preexisting medical conditions.....H1N1 was way worse.

Lets revisit this statement 6 months from now, I hope you are correct

The spanish flu (1918) was a little before my time, but 50 million died and 500 million got sick, yes I think we are more advanced but so are the virus we keep manufacturing :rolleyes:

It has mutated already once that they know of, this could and has the potential to be bad

rdrast said:
Note, that as of Last Friday, there were only 60 cases in the US, and zero deaths.

Too me... this is fast, we will easy cross 100k today

I dont think this is the END... we will get over it and make it through but will it affect the economy? yes, will it change our lives a little? no doubt how much is to be seen

EDIT: I also think the real issue is going to be some countries that are just in denial and not doing everything they can

Last edited:
I think they should not have closed the borders between all countries for non essential travel long ago.
Still, to this day I know people leaving to go on vacation, filter voluntarily through airports' going on business meetings and such. EEEGHHH! I wouldn't do that if there wasn't a plague going around.
I think you have too many negations there ? Does this reflect how you write PLC programs ?
Sorry, couldn't resist ........... :rolleyes:

This is what I wrote yesterday.
JesperMP said:
I have to travel to slovakia in a couple of weeks, it is not a hotspot at the moment, but and I am checking the recommendations of our foreign ministry re travel to other countries.
Today my trip is cancelled. Some person that was critically needed to be present refused to go due to fear of coronavirus, so we all dropped the trip.

So there is a lot of hype going around if you read the internet or watch the news... anyone here preparing? have you started to see it hit your business? do you think its going to just be a bad flu or something worse?

From an EU/UK perspective what seems to be happening is that the infection rate is exponential, this may just be a by product of higher testing rates, but now with infection from no known contact which is a bigger worry, also as pointed out the morality rate is much higher than normal seasonal flu.

We have already seen a lot of conferences and seminars in Europe cancelled, i'm sure the UK is going to follow that course pretty soon.

What worries me most is the economic impact, speaking as somebody who works for a company that ships globally, the markets are taking a hammering, we have had a large regional airline in the UK go down quoting Corona as the final nail in the coffin, i'm sure more will follow so we need to get it under control ASAP so people can carry on as normal.

Personally i have just delayed a trip (pleasure rather than business) as there are too may unknowns at the moment with potential self isolation and quarantine, especially in the country i was heading to in Europe, weighing it up it just wasn't worth the potential issues with multiple cross border travels.

I don't live in an area that is densely populated or is a tourist destination.
I don't have much contact with 'various' people and hardly any contact with the 'random' stranger...
I think that I will continue to live as usual... relevant xkcd
https://xkcd.com/2276/
https://xkcd.com/2277/

I've read a lot of articles on the news forums and Fox news, and my thinking is it's not so bad as the media makes it out to be. The media is just creating panic to get people to, well, watch their media outlet.
And those particle masks do nothing except somewhat prevent the wearer from flinging droplets on another person. A virus is about 4 microns in size. You get my drift.

And those particle masks do nothing except somewhat prevent the wearer from flinging droplets on another person. A virus is about 4 microns in size.

Exactly my thought.

And, no-one wears a mask to stop their 'output' - they think they will prevent the virus particle that will actually pass right through without even noticing the fibers of the mask as it travels through the holes in it.

I have a job in France next week, but don't expect any problems, but then again one of my main customers, that I will return to after the trip might not let me back in, they already send home a few people in "house arrest" !!

But if that is the case, I guess I will be ok, thanks to VPN connections, I will have a enough work for a few weeks :)

It's very interesting to see the cross section of reactions. I'm in the same area as Ken as we share similar thoughts. I think we should have been doing simple stuff earlier so there's less of the unpleasant stuff later.

It's also funny to see people's judgement of the "media", it's either they are hiding the real deadly stat or they are hyping it... Just chew on that for a second.

Anyway, stay safe. I'm very concerned but my biggest risk right now is still probably driving around town.

Here in Orange County CA there are a few cases. Not real worried about it right now. What I worry about is it getting into the homeless crowed. They refuse to get help when their dying let alone if they have a fever and a cough. They will spread it like wild fire. And we have almost 7000 of them here in this county. LA county has about 10 times that many.

I have a friend I talk to in Iran and he said the unreported count there is 300+ dead already. Including a few doctors and nurse he knew.

Stay safe everybody.

COVID-19 89,000 ILLNESSES 3000 DEATHS world wide

INFLUENZA IN THE U.S.A. ALONE 32 MILLION ILLNESSES 18,000 DEATHS THIS SEASON

according to the CDC.

Is it serious - yes. Is it running around like your hair is on fire serious - no. Should we take reasonable precautions - sure. But now testing and treatment protocols are known and in place in most countries, so the odds are against this becoming another Spanish Flu Epidemic. Bear in mind that the media doesn't sell advertising with headlines that say "Nothng Bad Happened Today".

I'm looking to the future, and was thinking of getting the Corona virus this weekend. It also comes with Lime disease. Heat stroke would be a nice kicker, but it's miserable in Michigan. Hey, 2 out of 3 ain't bad! LOL

corona-2B.jpg

My biggest worry is my children. It seems to be sparing kids at an astronomical rate, so that eases me.

Next biggest fear is the economy and my job. It has hit us hard, I work in probably the hardest hit industry. Our income is literally from moving people around the world.

My position is, I do not fear it, even though itÂ’s easy to obsess and worry yourself to death over. Instead, respect it and learn. We all need to be extremely grateful that this isnÂ’t as deadly as other potential pathogens. ThatÂ’s hard for the people who have been impacted by sickness or death, but imagine if this had the mortality rate of Ebola or MERS. Or if has 100Â’s of serotypes like the Rhinovirus making vaccinations impossible. Our world partners also need to learn that ancient cultures and traditions should be left for history books and camp fire stories. Once again, we all need to remember, our actions and choices can effect the whole world.

Status
Not open for further replies.