RSLogix500 vs ICOM Software

Scooter

We have a pallet strech wrapper that has a Allen Bradley SLC 500 fixed PLC 1747-L40A, It was programmed years ago with ICOM Software.
Everything is fine but I want to download the program and install a eeprom as it only has the battery back-up.
We have RSlogix500, RSLinx and the PIC converter.

I have been afraid to even attempt to communicate with this because the software may not be compatable.

Question is: Can I extract the program using the RSLogix500 or is there going to be a problem being it was programmed with the ICOM software.

I do have a print-out of the program and it looks like standard RSLogix500 format, I could manually convert it to RSLogix.

Thanks....

Let's make that 99.8% compatible.

There were some ladder constructs that the original ICOM software and the old A-B "APS" software would allow that RSLogix 500 considers illegal. Some very old controllers will get a "decompiler error" when trying to upload an old program with RSLogix 500.

There's no danger; the program stays in the controller and isn't damaged.

There's a fairly easy workaround; there is an AI-500 based upload utility that Technical Support can give you to upload the program. From there it will convert easily to RSLogix 500.

Go ahead and try to upload your program. Odds are extrememly good it will work without a hitch.

Thanks Ken, I have A/B APS programming software loaded on an old desktop pc sitti'n in the corner of the shop, It still works.

The APS software is DOS and now I am wondering if ICOM is DOS also?
This unit I am working with was OEM programmed in 1995.

Strange what you get used to ............ A hundred years ago i used to program a lot of quite fast sequencial control machines using Omron c20hs processors , and the highlight of my life was getting SSS software , why ? not because of anything more than it didn't require the use of horrible canister files . i still reckon I can program faster with the old dos based tush than with the windows stuff i tried - not only that , i thought about , and understood what i was doing . you will remember no TOF , you made it , takes a couple of lines of logic ? many people think that's wrong , one rung is enough , let's see who can get it right . ps , if you do know , don't tell.
I have used the APS to AB import utility many times with few probs , upload it with aps to be sure , and try a convert .

Ok, Now I have to ask: What came first? ICOM, A.I. or APS.

Were all these programs produced by Allen Bradley?
Or was there a second party involved.

I used the APS Software for one project 10 years ago
and never needed it afterwards.

I did not try to "upload" the program yet, The machine is in use.

There is quite a story regarding the software - I recall that there was a company called Greysoft who developed the original software (ladder90) for the siemens brick processors and prevented others from using their GUI (or something like that )
You should be OK going for a quick upload - though don't blame me if your factory gets filled up with peas and Captain Birdseye gets cross.

Scooter said:
Ok, Now I have to ask: What came first? ICOM, A.I. or APS.

Were all these programs produced by Allen Bradley?
Or was there a second party involved.
I believe A-B's APS was first.

ICOM - a separate business entity - produced the A.I. (Advanced Interface) series software for A-B processors. There were also versions for PLC-2 and PLC-3.

Doug_P said:
ICOM - a separate business entity - produced the A.I. (Advanced Interface) series software for A-B processors. There were also versions for PLC-2 and PLC-3.

And PLC-5.

I still have a vintage ICOM catalog from 1994. Also available is WINtelligent VIEW, WINlogic 5, and WINtelligent Linx.

Rockwell bought ICOM and basically re-named the operation "Rockwell Software"