Best way to convert add on instructions in RSLOGIX 5000

Nan

Hi,

My boss just ask me to convert all add on instructions into normal rungs. Currently, it is add ons in add ons.......... I am just wondering if there is an easy way to do this, or any hits and shortcuts.

Thank you!

Uh...Add-On Instructions ARE the shortcut. How many AOI's are you talking? I can't help but think that this sounds very much like knee-jerk reaction by someone who shouldn't be making that call...not that that helps you at all...

Add Ons in add ons? you mean nested?

What is the issue that you have whereby you want to 'uncode' the add ons back to ladder?

Sounds more like a training issue where bubba doesnt understand

cjd1965 said:
...Sounds more like a training issue where bubba doesnt understand

I concur Captain!

My co-ordinator, while he does program extensively in RSLogix 500, tends to steer well clear of most of what I get up to in LogixLand. 60 seconds into explaining how I've structured a neat UDT and have nested some AOIs and he's drooling and twitching uncontrollably.

Then, when he might actually look at some of it he looks like he's about to go blind with confusion.

He's not going to learn it any time soon I can assure you. He retires in October of next year.

Having said that, sometimes people can get a bit too clever with AOIs and nesting. To the point where it just never made sense to do it that way and would serve everyone and everything better to reverse engineer it back to Bubbanese.

I suppose it's hard for us to judge without actually seeing any of it?

Regards,
George

I assume that you, Nan, understand the basic structure and operation of add-on instructions. If you do this should be pretty easy.

Add-on instructions use the base instruction set of the plc. There really isn't any "converting". Just copy the rungs from inside the AOI to outside the AOI. Substitute the Input and Output type tags from the AOI code with the corresponding inputs and outputs from the AOI instance you are dealing with. Add a prefix to any internal tags to make them instance specific. Voila, you are done.

If you are asking if there are any automated tools to perform this function, I highly doubt it. Those of us who have lived life before AOIs and had even seen a Siemens program have been wishing for AOIs for years. Why anyone would want to bust that apart and add all that extra code to sift through is beyond me. I suspect it is beyond anyone who would write such an automated tool as well. Sorry, you are into this the long way.

Keith

Thank you for all your responses! And yes, they are nested. I totally understand what is an add on and how it works. It is just a lot...... Any way, thank you for your helps!