Multiplex tags in WINCC Pro v15.1

dahnuguy

WinCC Pro V15.1 with CPU 1516-3 PN/DP

As always , thanks for the amazing help, you guys are awesome.

See the link below as a reference.

https://www.dmcinfo.com/latest-thin...-faceplates-and-pop-ups-in-tia-portal-v13-sp1
(yes I know it is v13 in the tutorial)

I was following this tutorial and this is exactly what I want to do.
However, when we get down to

"At this point, notice that the HMI Tag is linked to a specific valve within our array of udtValves, dbValves.Valve[1]. Now, select your new IndexedValve tag and open up the property pane below. Select the empty drop-down box for "Address" and choose "HMI Tag". Now, navigate to your HMI tags and select "Index," the internal tag we created a few moments ago. At this point you will notice that the PLC Tag name shows "<Multiplex Tag>" (instead of dbValves.Valve[1]), and the 'address' now shows you a dynamic link to array. By setting our Index tag, we can now vary where our IndexedValve is pointed."

The drop down list for the address is greyed out and it is not possible to paste in the "index" value to the address.

Is this just not possible ?

Siemens and the youtube give lots of instructions on how this IS possible and even the internal help inside my specific version of WINCC Pro V15.1 even details how to do it and yet it does NOT work.

I just want to know if it is possible, and if so how?

Am I wrong in thinking that the professional package should include all the functions of the lower packages?

Is this only available in advanced and not pro?

Is this only available in an older version and not v15?

http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/view/en/21808321.

Just found this

"Requirements:
Multiplexing is only possible using SIMATIC WinAC, SIMATIC S7-300,
SIMATIC S7-400 or SIMOTION as controller."

Surely the CPU 1516-3 PN/DP can do anything the 300 can?

Last edited:
This is odd... I'm on a project now using DMCInfo's open library and it works.
Have you tried replacing the 1 by the IndexedVariable?

Can you post some screenshots of what you have?

This is odd... I'm on a project now using DMCInfo's open library and it works.
Have you tried replacing the 1 by the IndexedVariable?

yes I manually entered the "index" into the tag and it breaks the tag and rejects it or just reverts back to the "original tag[0]".

Can you post some screenshots of what you have?

Attached screenshot

MultiplexError01.jpg

I'm looking at how I do it and something's off.
If you drag the variable from your DB into your HMI tag list, it should show "db_Valves".XV[0] and the address box is enabled.

I'm looking at how I do it and something's off.
If you drag the variable from your DB into your HMI tag list, it should show "db_Valves".XV[0] and the address box is enabled.

I agree.
Repeated 4 or 5 times drag and drop , select from list, copy paste....all same result address box is gray not enabled.

Just noticed that this "Requirements:

is dated from when S7-1500 were not available (2009).

Can you try to replace the 0 with your ValveIndex Variable?

Did you compile the project beforehand?

I'm really lost with this... it works great on mine.

Just noticed that this "Requirements:

is dated from when S7-1500 were not available (2009).

Did you compile the project beforehand?

I'm really lost with this... it works great on mine.

Yes I did this multiple ways with no change, still greyed out.

Did you compile the project beforehand? yes saved compiled etc

I also changed the db to optimised with no change.

just curious what version you have?

WinCC Professional V13 manual:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/de/en/view/109096785
Chapter 2.2.3.2 discusses address multiplexing

Try to configure the mutiplexed tag step-by-step by following the instructions on pages 515 .. 517.
I notice one thing, and that is that arrays of UDTs are not specifically mentioned. So maybe it is not possible.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/mdm/109096785?c=70500715275&lc=en-DE

This is exactly what I am doing.

Does not work.

In the example I listed in the opening post, the array is an array of udt.
The whole point of this is to address an array of udt to control a device like a valve or pump etc.

All the examples I see use an array of udt.

Overview:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/mdm/109755202?c=76570980619&lc=en-DE

Step by Step:
https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/mdm/109755202?c=83078586123&lc=en-DE

from version 15 user manual

Exactly what I want to do and how I am doing it, except can't select the address drop down to make it a multiplexed address.

"Structured HMI tags with user-defined PLC data types (UDT) and arrays can be used for multiplexing with symbolic addressing.

Multiplexing is possible under the following conditions:

The path of the connected PLC tag includes at least one array index.
The array, which is left in the path of the PLC tags, is one-dimensional.
If there are multiple arrays in the path of the PLC tags, only the array is available for multiplexing.
The index tag must be of the "USInt", "UInt", "UDInt", "Sint", "Int" or "Dint" data type."

I understand that you want to achieve address multiplexing with Arrays of UDTs and WinCC Professional.

Problem is that the example from dmcinfo as well as the links you posted are not for WinCC Professional.
In the both the Overview and Step-by-Step guide you linked to it says
"Configuring address multiplexing with symbolic addressing (Basic Panels, Panels, Comfort Panels, RT Advanced)"
Notice that Professional is not listed.

In the WinCC Professional manual that I found, Address Multiplexing does not show if it waorks withArrays of UDTs. That is why I speculate that possibly only arrays of the elementary data types are supported.

I dont know so much about WinCC Professional, but I do know that there are some fundamental differences versus for example WinCC Advanced.
WinCC Professional i as far as I know not the same as WinCC Advanced plus more features.

Is there a small sample program I could open?
Maybe it is a simple thing like an HMI setting or something. Or maybe this HMI type doesn't allow multiplexing?

The HMI is IPC427E 3xPN/IE

I understand that you want to achieve address multiplexing with Arrays of UDTs and WinCC Professional.

Problem is that the example from dmcinfo as well as the links you posted are not for WinCC Professional.
In the both the Overview and Step-by-Step guide you linked to it says
"Configuring address multiplexing with symbolic addressing (Basic Panels, Panels, Comfort Panels, RT Advanced)"
Notice that Professional is not listed.

In the WinCC Professional manual that I found, Address Multiplexing does not show if it waorks withArrays of UDTs. That is why I speculate that possibly only arrays of the elementary data types are supported.

I dont know so much about WinCC Professional, but I do know that there are some fundamental differences versus for example WinCC Advanced.
WinCC Professional i as far as I know not the same as WinCC Advanced plus more features.

I am beginning to think this is the case, however, the links I posted came from the document from Siemens listed under WINN CC Professional v15.1 user manual.
Although now that I look at the page again , I see your point. Professional is not explicitly listed on the page. Would be nice if they added "Oh yeah doesn't work in Professional."
Its like they include different versions in the same user manual.

OK, I'm going to move on I guess. I would still like this to work though, so I will keep looking but can't lose anymore time right now. Deadlines and all that.

Thanks for the help.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/mdm/109755202?c=83078586123&lc=en-DE

edit:
I am aware a script can be used to work around this, I was hoping to eliminate the scripts.

There are ways to do the indirect control in the PLC, but it would require some tag structure changes that would break a lot of screens and existing code. Not sure it is worth the effort.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I dont have experience with WinCC Professional. The information I listed is what I have found on Siemens Support. Also, I cannot try anything out myself since I only have WinCC Advanced.
Can you setup a multiplexed tag with an array of elementary data types by using the instructions in PDF pages 4597 .. 4599 ?
If that goes OK, what happens when you try the same with an array of UDT ?
That may provide you with an answer to if it is at all possible.

May I ask why you use WinCC Professional with IPC427E ?
Not impossible, but I see WinCC Professional where you would have used WinCC V7 or even PCS7. So, for bigger systems than where you would use an IPC427E.