Running 480v transformers at 240v?

This is a little off-topic here, but I think most of you will enjoy the scenario, even if the PLC end of it is very secondary.

I'm re-fitting a resistance welder for an upcoming job, and it's outfitted with 480VAC 1Ø transformers; two 150kVA ones. The job I'm setting up requires two 65kVA transformers in 240VAC 1Ø. I'm firing them sequentially with a PLC commanding a weld controller.

The difference, as far as I know, in the transformers is the number of windings. And 480VAC has twice the windings as 240VAC transformers of equal kVA.

So knowing that, I should "technically" be able to run the 480VAC 150kVA transformers off 240VAC and get 75kVA, meeting the requirements needed.

Right?

It is not feasible to step up the welder to 480 from 220 because of the kVA demand. The controller can run on 240 or 480, and the SCR's can fire on any voltage.

Anyways, I've been kicking the idea around in my head and thought I'd ask for other opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Depending on the particular make and model transformers, why not just send them to a transformer shop and re-configure them by splitting the 480 primary winding into two 240 windings wired in parallel? That way you would not lose KVA capacity.

yes, however the secondary voltage will also be half, so the solution will not work.
the losses will be higher, as the flux will only be half.